1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Own kids at home and learning-yeah, right!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sbkrobson, Mar 24, 2020.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This is a thread about your own kids and how they are doing with all that school work which we are all setting to other people's kids.
    My own kid is not getting on with it.
    Of course.
    We've had our first hissy fit over it.
    "Please get out of bed. Just because there is no school does not mean you can lie around the whole time"
    Stays in bed another three hours.
    "Can you show me the school work you've been set?"
    Disappears mysteriously.
    "Could I just see what you're doing on the laptop please? Ah! OK. Well, when are you going to do some work?"
    Becomes spiteful and acerbic.
    "Would you just turn the TV off and do some work"
    Mimics.
    "NO YOU CANNOT HAVE A SANDWICH, YOU'LL GET ALL THE FOOD YOU WANT WHEN YOU'VE DONE YOUR TASSOMAI!!!!!"
    Slams door and stomps upstairs, making the whole world bursts into tears.

Where do I back off?
    Do I think "main thing is that we keep the peace just to get through this, so they can do what they wishe"?
    Or do I think "poor thing, their education is suffering, and as an educationalist I am in quite a good place to give a boost at home and urge to work"
    Or do I think "can somebody advise when is actually the earliest time you may start on the gin?"

Please post about how you're getting on with your own stropmonsters kids.
    Day 2. Feels like Day 200.
    :(

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

So glad I don't have this . Sorry don't have any advice.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Turn the TV sound off and bring the subtitles up. At least they will be reading.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'm loving having my 10 year old home. She's brilliant. And for now (two days in, haha) she's being diligent with the set school work. Sorry. I'm sure things will be different next week.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

And I hope things smooth over a bit with yours. Teen?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yep.
    Slap dab midterm teen.
    Teen in a pandemic-what's that like?
    Turns out it's like a teen.

**simmers**
    I too reported in rosy Mum'snetty speak when my kid was 10.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    ShowerGel, Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Tiny bit snide. I'll leave you to it.

install and bombaysapphire like this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sorry, I did not intend that. The simmering is at my kid, not at you.
    My point made offensively was that a teen at home is harder work than a ten year old at home, as it turns out. And I would not have thought it at the time of my kid being ten.

9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Yes I know. I probably sounded smug, I didn't mean to.

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

(And I loathe Mumsnet)

Lara mfl 05, install, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

All is good
    In isolation we are all about to sound a bit removed from how we are, firstly because what we have at the moment is odd and secondly because we are writing the oddness not saying it.

It's good that minds can meet here.

Lara mfl 05, bonxie, knitone and 2 others like this.
  12. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Youngest is at grammar school. They are emailed work every morning and it has to be completed and sent back by 3.40pm (very precise, to encourage discipline and protect teachers’ workload). Yesterday work was done followed by a run over the fields.
    Eldest is at uni with nothing to do (I don’t believe this for a minute). Gets up at 11pm and goes to bed when I’m getting up. Watches trash TV and chats on the phone to equally nocturnal friends all night. If we don’t die of Coronavirus it is very likely we will die from food poisoning from all the piles of dirty washing up lying around.
    Apologies for turning this thread into the Rant Away thread.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

14. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Year 10 one is doing okay. Work set is very precise and we have most of GE course revision guides to help if it runs dry. She likes most of her teachers, and there have been lots of encouraging personalised emails as work has been submitted. Year 7 is finding it harder. Work is a bit more project based, and tasks a bit more open.
    Both are doing better than me, supposedly getting ahead with planning. Done very little so far.

15. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I started to write some school reports yesterday* then had a little nap.

*I got as far as typing in the names.

16. Lisa54321

Lisa54321 Occasional commenter

I'm a deputy head at a primary school so my 2 secondary age are helping out there.

Lara mfl 05 and Jamvic like this.
  17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I think I got in there first actually!
    What is your strategy with the uni age one? Let them get on with it for the sake of peace?
    Or castigate/cajole/direct/instruct/plead delete as applicable.?

Presumably neither one nor the other, such is parenting

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.
  18. fedupalreadyiam

fedupalreadyiam New commenter

If a positive comes out of this crisis, let's hope that more parents realise what a fantastically difficult job teaching is, and start supporting teachers more when they phone home with a complaint!

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think I may have posted this on another thread, but I heard yesterday on the radio about a mum who found it so impossible to teach her three children at home that she said she had decared yesterday an INSET day. :D:p:D

20. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Do you know, you have mentioned that you are a deputy head in quite a lot of posts now. Congratulations. But .... why on Earth are your children with you? They need to be at home. All the time. None of this is a joke.