1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

own children's gcse choices

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, Mar 4, 2011.

1. grrr! - master post's school meeting about gcse choices last night - usual stuff, 2 english, maths, 3 sciences , 1 mfl (private school) core - choose 3 more - but the booklet definitely talked about possibility of taking 11 exams
    now - don't get me wrong - he's not desperate to have 11 gcse's - just wants to follow 11 courses of study (well, 12 actually, but he's happy to study spanish at home with conversation with a bi-ligual friend) - his options being drama, music, history and rsp (his - perfectly reasonable in his case - aim in life is to go to stage school and become a song and dance man)
    any leeway possible? nope - not a bit
    top universities want 10 good gcse's, not 11 poorer ones
    he isn't planning to go to university - he's perfectly capable of 11 good grades and if he changes his mind but hasn't got the grades, that's his problem and he'll apply to a lesser university
    but anyway, he has straight a's - is in top 20% of year group in school that's selective to start with - why can't he study a bit more than the boys who are struggling? because
    top universities want 10 good gcse's, not 11 poorer ones - threat of circular argument that could go on all night
    so what about these 11 exams - ah yes, in y11 he can do critical thinking - why - he doesn't want to do ct - he wants to do rsp (which is what has now had to give up)
    top universities want 10 good gcse's, not 11 poorer ones and they like critical thinking

he isn't planning to go to university - he's perfectly
    capable of 11 good grades and if he changes his mind but hasn't got the
    grades, and not having ct counts against him, that's his problem and he'll apply to a lesser university

i don't get a chance to point out that he's particularly interested in studying islam, and it's not hard to argue that he would emerge a more rounded human being better equipped for the world he will live in with such an understanding rather than ct, whatever the merits of ct, as such issues do not arise as far as the school is concerned -
    top universities want 10 good gcse's, not 11 poorer ones and they like critical thinking
    aaaargh! i would ask, what ever happened to education, but i can't face the 528 sarcastic replies i'd get

2. Pah! I hate this sort of comment.
    All my kids have got 3 sciences and their two english and HIGHER

3. I do not understand when you want the school to teach your son this extra course

Presumably his timetables will be filled by the 10 courses he is studying

4. timetable no s

5. How bizarre. My son is sitting 15 GCSES this year in a very good comprehensive. 11 are standard options - Triple Science, 2 languages, ICT, RS, Maths, English Lit, English Lang, Geography.
    As he is bright he is managing to do double ICT in the time given (almost fnished and has distinction so A*/A grade). He has done one of his sciences and maths early with the modular settings and got A* in all of them and with one paper to go will get A* in his other 2 scences, so is doing additional maths and statistics in the time remaining and he is doing electronics after school which is his idea of chilling out and fun as he gets to mess about and make things.
    Not unusual in our place for the bright ones and this year there are at least 6 past pupils I know of to date who have offers for Cambridge who have taken similar route to my son. Doesn't sound like you're getting your money's worht out of them to be honest!

6. i don't particularly want them to - what i want is for them to teach him what he wants to do, as long as it's possible, and these courses are what he wants to do
    as lily said, if it doesn't work from a practical timetabling pov, that would be tough luck,
    but that isn't the situation - and his timetable will obviously not be
    filled by the 10 courses, as he can do critical thinking as an 11th,
    which he doesn't want to do, but the school wants him to do as they
    think getting the boys to do it will up their university entrance
    profile compared to an extra arts or humanities subject
    gigirl - he wants to do triple science, and anyway, he couldn't swap a science for another course - the boys not considered up for it will be dropped to double next year, but just as one fewer exam to take, but it isn't offered as a point of flexibility
    lily - you have given me food for thought - in london, going back about 10 years, there was a move in not-championship-leader private schools to have as their selling point not being desperate to be Top Academic Dog, but to offer more rounded, more individual curriculums (may well have been making virtue of necessity, of course!), and we chose schools from this group - this now seems to be disappearing - i know other parents whose kids are being pressured to do more gcse's trghan they are happy with for the same university-aimed reasons.miss post has got out before it happened to her, master post has been caught up in it
    leviosa - what can i say but
    envy

7. That is not the same as there being timetable space for another GCSE ... we have a number of students who do Gen Studs and/or Citizenship and/or Crt Think with no timetabled teaching

8. no - it will involve timetabled teaching - have already been told that

9. also - the school day is 8.30 till 4 with no assemblies - just one form period a week - how hard can it be - and see my original post - that was never suggested for one second as a reason

10. I am only speaking from the PoV of a time-tabler but we have lots of compulsory elements in our timetable and it would not be possible to replace PE/RS/IT/etc with another GCSE option

11. Ok

Obviously I do not work for the school ... I was just trying to demonstrate why it may be an issue

12. ah - excellent points and i will check them/ acknowledge the issues involved whjen i write - of course, as he has dropped rsp now, he will have to do whatever is in place instead, so it won't free as much timetable as it might. i will check about it - it's quite common in private schools overflowing with computers to incorporate the it requirement into other lessons rather than teach it seperately - will see what they do. pe may well be the timetable filler - the school prides itself on how much pe and games it does - and again, they have the facilities

13. IT - i must stop being such a slug about risking hitting the caps button

14. It may be that they won't be able to timetable it due to the blocking and you might be better waiting until about June and finding out if it would fit in his timetable then? Do ask about the Spanish as the school might not be happy for him to sit the exam if they have not taught him... it could bring down their results. Or is he just going to keep it up without doing a gcse in it?

15. oh goodness yes - just for pleasure - no exam