1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Owl who was afraid of the dark/ Kensuke's Kingdom?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lisamcclis, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm a student and I'm trying to do an assignment for my English class (make a resource to develop children's understanding of one of the books covered- Kensuke's Kingdom, Owl, or Piggybook) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about the suitable ages for the books?
    I'm thinking "owl who was..." is a year 1 book? Do you agree? I've never been in year one so I'm not sure about their capabilities.
    Kensuke's Kingdom- year 5 maybe?
    Thank you!
    L

2. Hi all,
    I'm a student and I'm trying to do an assignment for my English class (make a resource to develop children's understanding of one of the books covered- Kensuke's Kingdom, Owl, or Piggybook) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about the suitable ages for the books?
    I'm thinking "owl who was..." is a year 1 book? Do you agree? I've never been in year one so I'm not sure about their capabilities.
    Kensuke's Kingdom- year 5 maybe?
    Thank you!
    L

3. Kensuke's Kingdo is perfect for Year 5. If you search 'Resources'you'll find lots of ideas. My class loved it!

4. Are you thinking of resources to use in literacy lessons? I find The Owl Who ... a bit too complex for most year 1s at my school. Very few can read it (it is quite long and it is a chapter book) and it has some slightly old fashioned vocabulary. I'd say it is more suitable for Year 2. A google search for the owl who was afraid of the dark resources or activities will throw up lots of ideas.

5. I've searched resources, of which I could only find worksheets- which would be brill, but we've been told they are not an option! I've actually just been placed in a year 5-6 class, and the teacher said most of the work she did with books was activity based rather than using a resource.
    Yes, it is for literacy, I have to link it to the PNS. I'm thinking some sort of game might be good, but knowing where to start is difficult!
    Thanks for your help :)