1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ovulation question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by toeinwater, Jan 4, 2011.

1. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Just wondered if opposite ovaries release an egg each month or if it can be the same on consecutive months. Only started tracking which side I got ov pain on last month and it was my right, but I have 'feelings' on the right again right now, which is around ov time. Anyone know?

2. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Just wondered if opposite ovaries release an egg each month or if it can be the same on consecutive months. Only started tracking which side I got ov pain on last month and it was my right, but I have 'feelings' on the right again right now, which is around ov time. Anyone know?

3. My firend was told she wasn't ovulating every month because only one ovary was "working". They said she could conceive alternate months which would suggest that it is alternate ovaries.
    Not sure if that is correct though because I thought that eggs matured in both ovaries every month and then the most dominant follicle gets relaeased. I personally think that you could ovulate from the RHS 2 months in a row.

4. Hello,
    No they don't alternate each month. It may be that for several months its always the same ovary.
    I know if you have an ectopic pregnancy and the tube removed that if the ovary releases a egg then the fallopian tube on the other ovary will 'move' to catch the egg. Amazing really.
    Hope this helps

5. I'm bumping this up, 10 weeks on from surgery after my own ectopic pregnancy. Thanks, Cococherry [​IMG]

6. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

I was told something similar by the doctor after ectopic pregnancy. She said that when there are 2 functioning ovaries and tubes the dominant egg was released each month regardless of side, and that after ectopic the ovary that still has a tube will become the dominant one. Apparently some research shows that having one tube has little impact on conception rates as your body overcomes it.

7. I believe they don't actually alternate each month. You can have 2, 3, etc consecutive months on the right side, then one on the left, the back to right, etc. I don't think it follows a pattern, it just depends which egg matured the quickest to be released. Hope that makes sense?