1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by shinynewteacher, Jun 19, 2020.

1. shinynewteacher

shinynewteacher New commenter

I'm in my second term now as an NQT. I still feel immensely overwhelmed by all the work and teaching it's self. Does it get easier? Does anyone feel the same? I've not been told I'm doing anything wrong or I'm at risk etc but I constantly feel like I'm not getting things right. Is this normal?

2. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Yes, this is normal.

It does get easier, but the first couple of years can be particularly stressful. (I remember going home to my parents' house and falling asleep on the couch: my poor old dad was really worried about me.)

Teaching is a hard gig in the best of times and we all worry about getting things right. I'm now retired, but I was a Head of Department for a few years and then a Faculty Head. I spent a bit of time suffering from imposter syndrome. We all do.

Try not to worry. You'll be fine. I wish you the very best in your career.

freckle06, agathamorse and Marshall like this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Yes - absolutely normal! It does get better over the years but the job is so stressful and enjoyable at the same time!
    I always had the feeling that I'd get found out about soon!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. shinynewteacher

shinynewteacher New commenter

Thank you. Just feel like there's so much work to do and that I'm constantly questioning myself!

5. R_B

R_B New commenter

Very normal. Don't worry and seek advice from more experienced colleagues. Observe as many other colleagues as possible as it's the best CPD. Learn from them but avoid the mood hoovers! They will make you more anxious and everyone around them. It's the greatest job in the world and yes it is tough at times but there will be so many amazing moments. Remember asking for help when you need it is a strength not weakness. Goodluck,you'll be great.

Marshall and freckle06 like this.
  6. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Completely normal. Talk to your union rep.