1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

overwhelmed

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by bicky123, Feb 18, 2012.

1. I realy need some help! I came into teaching late, i'm now 35. I finished my QTS last year and am now doing my NQT. I am in a school that is to say the least, rough. I've been physcially threated twice and I get call all sorts of names every single day. Every single class I teach is not good to utterly dreadfull. I scream and shout in every lesson. Kids tell me they hate me all of the time, call me a bully. I have been observed by teachers and they have told me my body language is agressive as is my tone of voice.
    When I did my training year it was no where near as bad as this. In fact I was good. In my other schools, one thing I was complemented on was my disclipine. In this school I've turned into a screaming physo because I feel I have to defend myself against their horrible behavor to me. My subject knowledge (in science) is not good, but I'm not a stupid person and enjoy learning but my confidence is utterly shot out of the water in this school.
    I know I'm their to educate the kids and I need to see that they have lots of social problems and they need my help but I utterly dread going into this school. It may not help that I've moved over from Ireland and know absolutly no one but I unfortunately I need to pay the mortage back home so I need to stick to it.
    Any advice?!

2. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

The Behaviour for Learning document tells you why you should not be shouting at kids and being aggressive towards them.
    Why are you teaching science if your subject knowledge is poor?