1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overwhelmed Year 1 NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by kitkat1213, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have to baseline assessments completed asap, but the school have not stated how they want these done or the resources to use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel rather lost. I have spoken to my mentor but I don't get any answers!

2. Hi
    I have to baseline assessments completed asap, but the school have not stated how they want these done or the resources to use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel rather lost. I have spoken to my mentor but I don't get any answers!

3. Oh wow! I don't even know what baseline assessments are LOL! I think you need to contact your mentor in writing again and ask some other teachers how they're doing it. If not perhaps email the head?

4. hi,

my understanding of baseline would be the level of ability the children arrive with in your class, its so u can measure progress made throught he following terms.

PLEASE ASK MANAGEMENT in your school as i was in this exact position, ended up with no answers and so did my own thing which ended up being wrong and consequently affected all other assessments because i had no guindance.

go and ask, sometimes schools use their own assessments written using testbase (database of past SATS questions) sometimes they use optional sats, sometimes they choose an example of work (maybe 3) and assess that way. BUT DO ASK because ur new, and if you dont you might find its too late.

dont mean to scare you, but if i could go back, i would be a lot more forceful until i was crystal clear in what i needed to do!

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Ask another KS1 teacher how he/she has done the baseline assessments. Don't be afraid to bother others if you're feeling lost - everyone has been an NQT so they know what it's like when everything is new. It's a shame your mentor isn't being more helpful but you might be able to get more advice out of him/her if you can approach with a query like "Miss X is doing her baseline assessments like this, is it all right for me to do them in the same way?"