1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overtime pay for part-timers

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kellyannburton, Feb 11, 2020.

1. kellyannburton

kellyannburton New commenter

Hi there!
    Can you help? I am am part-time teacher on M6 an work 3 days per week at an annual salary of approx 24500.
    I am sometimes asked to do overtime. It is for an LEA school (Worcestershire).
    I got paid 124 pounds for the day (6.5 hours). This seems a bit low.
    Is there a way that is stipulated in the STPCD that is needs to be calculated? I have to pay childcare for 2 children when I work overtime and as it is roughly the same cost, I wouldn't be earning anything!
    Any help is very welcome. xx

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sounds dodgy to me. The most obvious (to me) way of paying you the extra would be to use the rate for teachers paid on a daily basis . STPCD says "42.1. Teachers employed on a day-to-day or other short notice basis must be paid in accordance with the provisions of this Document on a daily basis calculated on the assumption that a full working year consists of 195 days, periods of employment for less than a day being calculated pro rata."

Perhaps your school is paying you some kind of supply rate.

Is the overtime in your contract? If not, then you could simply refuse to do it unless properly paid. It might be wise to have a word with your union.