1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overstaffed in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by chriszwinter1, Mar 9, 2011.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

This isn't just grossly unfair, but utterly insane and may be even illegal. It is the post that is made redundant, not the individual who occupies it. What you propose is a perfectly sensible solution which defers the decision and buys time in case other things develop, such as others leaving. In fact, your colleague's maternity leave alleviates the situation for the year, which means that there is no need for a redundancy because your department will not be overstaffed.. This should be referred immediately to higher authority within the union, i.e. local secretary or county secretary and to regional offices for proper advice.

2. I worked for a short while in a school where there was exactly this situation.. A colleague went off on maternity leave at some point in September and returned in June. She was not given a timetable, as there would not have been any classes to give her, but instead basically did "cover" for the weeks she was in school. ( the school used quite a bit of external cover at that time, it was before cover supervisors were quite as ubiquitous) During the course of her maternity leave another member of the department decided to take up an offer of early retirement which the school was offering to try and avoid having to make compulsory redundancies. So when the new academic year started the teacher who had been on maternity leave had a job to come back to.
    Nobody lost out, because during the course of the maternity leave somebody chose to move on.
    My understanding is that it is illegal to make someone redundant and then appoint someone else to do a job they could do - which is what would be happening here. However that's only my understanding and you would need to check that out. Definitely get on to your union asap.