1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Overseas visitor wants to become TA - how?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by dumpty, May 11, 2020.

  1. dumpty

    dumpty Star commenter

    A lady I knew from Asia (Thailand) has now settled in the UK and wants to become a TA. She asked me how and I have found it very confusing when looking online, all the courses and talk of volunteering??

    She only has basic school education from Thailand but excellent speech and writing abilities.

    What is the best (as in easiest and cheapest) way for her to become a TA? (I don't think she can get any bursary or help as the non EU citizen spouse visa forbids the holder in getting any public funds)

    Thanks in advance - all help and advice appreciated.
  2. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Star commenter

    I can only suggest contacting her local FE college (when it re-opens) and making an appointment to discuss courses available with them - or, is there an adult careers advice service in your area? They might be able to advise. I would definitely do this before investing time and money in an on-line course; I have no personal experience of them, but know others who have found them a waste of money and the 'qualifications' they offer not worth the paper they're written on. Having said that, there must be some good ones - if your friend did go down that route, make sure it is a CACHE accredited course.

    Volunteering is often a good way forwards - write a letter to Heads of local primary schools. Don't make it longer than one side of A4 and be specific about when she can come in and if she has any special skills to offer - art, drama, sport, etc.

    If she doesn't have any qualifications from this country, it might also be useful for her to work towards the adult English and Maths qualifications - these would be available at a local college and, to my knowledge, are free to study. This would show prospective employers and training providers her commitment to her plans for the future.

    Wish your friend the best of luck.
    dumpty likes this.
  3. rolls

    rolls Occasional commenter

    The first thing she needs to do is take GCSE English and Maths. These courses are often free at local colleges but it might depend upon her immigration status. She could also volunteer alongside this but there is no point looking into this until after September.

Share This Page