1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overseas qualified teacher - where to start in the UK

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by monkru, Jan 24, 2020.

1. monkru

monkru New commenter

Hello all,

I had qualified as a teacher of English ( taught as a second language) overseas a number of years ago. I gained some experience teaching English to non English speakers abroad some time ago. I have since moved to the UK and having registered my qualifications here, I was allocated a QTS allowing me to teach. I have volunteered in a secondary and then a primary school for a short while to get a feel and I would like to try teaching in primary schools, mainly due to the fact that my degree does not translate into a particular subject for the secondary school setting.

My question, however, is - where do I start? I would like to try supply teaching but I feel I need to prepare myself first. I have got to learn KS1 and 2 curriculum I guess or access other resources to be able to know what I need to teach. Can someone recommend a good way of how I can prep myself or where to read up or find resources. Any help and words of advice would be greatly appreciated, as I feel a bit frustrated and lost. I have this old qualification of mine that I would like to use but I am out of practice and definitely with not much UK based experience. TIA :)