1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overseas literacy planning help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by fish323, Aug 9, 2019.

1. fish323

fish323 New commenter

Hi
    I have been out of special ed teaching about 15 years and primary teaching about 20 years. A year ago I started working in a kindergarten in Vietnam teaching 2-5 year olds during the mornings. Fortunately the head changed and the new head realised the ESL curriculum is ridiculous and needs to be changed. I have searched the Resources and found no planning that is really suitable for ESL EYFS students. Unfortunately, I am the best qualified/experienced foreign teacher across the three campuses and to prevent another lunacy ESL curriculum being implemented, I need to find something. By lunacy, I mean teaching plate tectonics and other crazy stuff is in the current curriculum. Can anyone help?

2. robspillane

robspillane New commenter

I don't believe you can really have an Early Year curriculum based around ESL. I teach age 4 children in China. I have never taught an English class I just teach in English. I've never taught colours or foods or anything like that. I use the EYFS as a guide and choose subjects that the children are interested in. Currently developing our own bespoke framework with bilingualism at the heart.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would use Development Matters to guide the teaching in EYFS.
    There is also a document called 'what to expect when' which is useful.

Then use play based learning for almost everything with you speaking in English.
    The only 'teaching' you might want to do with the older children in your group is phonics...RWI is excellent, but not cheap. Letters and Sounds is also perfectly fine.