1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overseas jobs drying up at this time of the year

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Are there any alternative sites that have vacancies all year round - esp for January starts

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Rather than it just being a matter of dross advertising on TES, I sometimes wonder whether part of the reason for using an agency is to prevent the school being swamped with unsuitable applicants every time a job is advertised. I like to think that I only ever apply for jobs that I am capable of doing well, but far too many people apply for anything. Principals and their secretaries have told be that whenever they advertise a position they get inundated. I was told of one fellow from India who applies for absolutely everything and sent in a letter informing the school of all his woes (such as his girlfriend leaving him).

There are some schools website employment pages that now never show a job. As zero turnover is unlikely, I can only assume that they have been stung in the past and so are much more circumspect about publicly advertising positions.

The trouble with this stance is that a school won't know what an agency is filtering out. The people who work for agencies are, first and foremost salespeople. They are only allowed to present a few candidates to a school and so invariably play safe and dismiss [possibly outstanding] candidates that don't tick all their predefined boxes.

3. So, a single teacher then; a highly prized commodity - nab him.
    [​IMG]

4. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Search have disabled my account until Sept as I can't leave my current job til Dec. If you can recommend any other recruitment agencies thatb would be nice.
    Thanks

5. Teachanywhere

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

...For not very much. The amount they offer for positions is rather poor.

7. I agree, however believe it or not some of the Arabic schools that they carry, you can actually haggle up your salary...a bit distasteful I know, but its a thought!

8. roverfan

roverfan New commenter

Don't know about the quality of this agency but TIC Recruitment
    (http://www.ticrecruitment.com ) could be worth a try - had a few emails from them this week looking for teachers for New York or Beijing.

9. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Unless, you are a US citizen, or this was a bulk email, then this is very surprising. With so many US teachers out of work, I wouldn't have thought many US schools were prepared to sponsor a visa.