1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Overseas experienced English teacher (no BA/PGCE) advice on routes into primary sector UK

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by rosequigley, Jan 27, 2019.

  1. rosequigley

    rosequigley New commenter

    Hi there,

    I'm looking for some advice. I've been trawling through various UK Gov Teaching and University websites to see how to become a teacher in UK and could do with some personal opinions from those more experienced than myself. I'm a mother of 3 children (16, 14 and 9) with no OH.
    I've 15 years experience living and teaching in France both in the public and private sector, most of that in primary, where currently I am the Head of Pedagogy and teacher in a Primary International Section, covering KS1/2 English, Geography, History, and elements of other core subjects.
    Additional experience includes being the school Librarian for their British Section, running a children's theatre association, being a host family for French language students and delivering Summer Schools and English holiday workshops.
    I would like to move back to the UK and move into primary teaching, either as a teacher or initially a TA. However, prior to relocating abroad many moons ago, I obtained only an ND and then also an HND, both at grade distinction. I do have the relevant GCSEs at C or higher.
    It would be very difficult financially for me to study full time back in the UK whilst supporting my 3 children to obtain either a top up to a BA or PGCE. I have heard it could be possible to study online, or through Direct teaching routes, but these appear to require a degree too. It is hard to find personalised advice without having the required starting qualifications.
    Even positions in the independent sector require a degree. It's frustrating because I have years of experience teaching and developing educational strategy, and many additional extracurricular pastoral roles as well.
    I'm perfectly happy to start at the bottom within a support role initially, but my overall goal is to continue as a teacher, however, I need to earn a living to support my children also while following the best route to achieve this.
    I've been out of the UK a long time and any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!
    many thanks
  2. agathamorse

    agathamorse Senior commenter

    You need a degree to teach in the UK and then you need QTS for most schools, Some independent schools will employ teachers without it. Some people start as TAs but then have to study for a degree and then can do QTS, some through their schools. If I were you I’d stay where you are. Primary teaching in the UK has ridiculously long hours compared to other countries.
    install likes this.
  3. dunnocks

    dunnocks Star commenter

    you re not qualified, thats all there is to it. You need a degree. Then you could maybe do the assessment only route to QTS, which is when you get a job and then are assessed on the job, but it does take a lot of extra paperwork, and with a full time teaching job, and children it might well be too much.

    You could work as TA or a HLTA, but not for enough to support a family of 4.

    I agree, stay where you are!
    Can you study for a degree while working where you are? Then come back when you have a degree?
    agathamorse likes this.

Share This Page