1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overrated?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by bobvincent, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Some of mine have already been mentioned but the one I've read most recently and loathed as over-hyped tosh was One Day. I've rarely cared so very little about what happens characters in a book.
    I also hated almost all of Atonement except for the long walk.

2. I liked Atonement, but One Day was sub-standard Richard Curtis Brit romcom for the Naughties.Like she couldn't resist him.

3. Just finished part one of Atonement. Not all that impressed so far. Hopefully it gets better.

4. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

Not read Atonement yet, but in complete agreement over One Day. Just chick-lit, and not particularly inspiring. If it had been sold to me as such, I might not have been so disappointed in it. However, people were raving about it, so my expectations were raised.

5. 576

576 Established commenter

I'm only about 1/4 in so it may be speaking too soon but 20.000 leagues under the sea is pretty disappointing so far - and I enjoyed 80 days around the world.

6. I have loved quite a few of the books mentioned here, but I really, really can't stand Philip Roth. I have tried to read several of his books but just can't see why he is so highly rated.

7. I agree. All I remember of Portnoy's Complaint is the talk about sex. Another American disappointment was Saul Bellow, whose Augie March book was just boring and shallow