1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overrated?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by bobvincent, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Nooooo - I loved Dr Zhivago.
    I liked Memoirs of a Geisha as well, althouh I suspect Geisha of Gion was a more realistic portrayal of the life of a geisha.

2. DuMaurier's Rececca was rubbish, unlike theHitchcock film, and Agatha Christie would struggle to get a grade A at GCSE for her mundane style, although her plots are ingenious and virtually impenetrable.
    I've also been disappointed by John le Carre, like inferior Graham Greene.
    And Lord of the Rings did little for me, either

3. I agree, utter rubbish, hugely overrated, in my opinion.
    I enjoy an Agatha Christie, but agree that her writing style is dull.
    Have to disagree with you about Rebecca - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4. John Updike's Rabbit books. All I remember is the sex. And that wasn't erotic at all.

5. Oh I'd forgotten how overrated The Lord of the Rings is. I tried, persevered for a while but will never get those hours back.

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'll have to disagree with you on Austen. I think it's easy to dismiss her because she is (or maybe the TV adaptations of her novels are) so popular. I suppose her novels are essentially 18th century chick lit - but they are extremely well written. Her characters are 3-dimensional, and I love the way that she understands the characters so much better than they understand themselves.

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'll disagree with all of those as well.
    Northern Lights trilogy - exciting adventure, characters you care about (I don't mind admitting to crying when I reached the end of the last book), and plenty to think about.
    Cranford - not her greatest work (I prefer "North and South" and "Mary Barton"), but an enjoyable, easy read.
    Vanity Fair - I hated Becky Sharp, but still enjoyed the novel - which is rare for me. I generally dislike a book when I can't empathise with the central character.

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Maybe because the narrator is a rich, spoiled, self-centred brat who isn't as interesting as he thinks he is. I kept going to the end, because I thought that sooner or later it would improve. It didn't.

9. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I struggled through this as a teenager, and have never made the effort to reread it. But I liked the BBC radio adaption. I thought that the Hobbit was a much more enjoyable read - and a far better length for a story.
    However, didn't your OP talk about books that were critically acclaimed, but overrated? I know that Lord of the Rings has legions of obsessive fans, but has it ever been hailed as a great literary work?

10. Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Hated it!

11. Funny, but at uni I liked Under Western Eyes, but have hated every Conrad since

12. 576

576 Established commenter

I got them free in e-book form
    so took them with me on a week's holiday to the beach to see what all the fuss is about..........
    Can you guess what they are??
    The Twilight Books! No idea how they got such a huge following!
    But I've started - so I'll finish - half way through the 3rd.

13. Kazuo Ishiguro- Never let me go, although I liked The Remains of the Day

14. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I sort of enjoyed Never Let Me Go but it is very depressing!

15. I know the style is deliberately prosaic and mundane to match the characters, but the supposed pathos passed me by.

16. Try When We Were Orphans, bob. I think you might like it.

17. Jack Kerouac's On the Road - all I remember is eating at truck-stops and diners. Mr K liked his ice cream. the upcoming film will be all sunglasses and no action

18. 1984 - had to study it at school, hated every bit.
    Lord of the Flies - also had to study it at school and also hated every bit of it.
    In fact, both of those books I studied with the same teacher whom I also hated. Hmmm....
    Agatha Christie I find dull and tedious.
    The Devil Wears Prada, also quite tedious and rambling.
    Wicked, just plain confusing!

19. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I read it at school and wasn't keen but I recently reread it and thought it was alright.
    I've just finished 'When God was a Rabbit' by Sarah Winman. Was in Amazon best sellers and bookclubs and all sorts. While I was reading it people asked me what it was about, 'I'm not sure yet' was my answer. After finishing it, I still couldn't really tell you. Far too much going on in it in not enough detail. Don't know why everybody said it was so good.

20. Harry Potter books...Philip Pulman...Jacqueline Wilson...oh, and 'The Life of Pi' :)