1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overrated?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by bobvincent, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Which books were critically acclaimed but disappointed you? I'll start with my betes noires-
    anything by Jane Austen and Henry James, whose never-ending style I hate
    Zadie Smith's PC right-on rubbish
    Michael Ondaatje's "The English Patient"
    Martin Amis' "The Pregnant Widow" (although I loved "Time's Arrow")
    "Swallows and Amazons"

just for starters... I'll be back

2. Which books were critically acclaimed but disappointed you? I'll start with my betes noires-
    anything by Jane Austen and Henry James, whose never-ending style I hate
    Zadie Smith's PC right-on rubbish
    Michael Ondaatje's "The English Patient"
    Martin Amis' "The Pregnant Widow" (although I loved "Time's Arrow")
    "Swallows and Amazons"

just for starters... I'll be back

3. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

On Chesil Beach...
    Three Cups of Tea... - wish I knew how to do paragraphs

4. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Perfume by Patrick Susskind - could never get into it so gave up which is unusual for me
    Same for The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho - gave up on this too.
    Agree with bob vincent on Zadie Smith.

5. I liked On Chesil Beach. McEwan is very good

6. Chekhov is very overrated, and I don't think it was because of Michael Frayn's translation. . I also disliked Rushdie's Moor's Last Sigh with its endlessly prattling Indians. Joseph Conrad is always hard work, too.
    Other books which underwhelmed- Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, Mrs Gaskell's Cranford, Thackeray's Vanity Fair.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think he writes pretentious, self regarding claptrap.

8. ok. What do you like then?

9. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

I like Conrad. Nostromo changed my life.
    Dickens gets right on my wick, though, it must be said.
    John Fowles' The Magus is nought but toss, but I have met many true believers who think that it's lovelier than God's own b*llocks.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Agreed. I found White Teeth baffling as to why it should have been hyped so much (I found it trite and rather boring) and so can't bring myself to read anything else of hers.
    Mine:
    Salman Rushdie - Midnight's Children - Really? Pompous drivel.

11. 576

576 Established commenter

- Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
    - Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
    - Anna Karenina - (I'm curently about 1/2 way through but have been for months - don't think I'll ever finish it)
    - Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    - Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
    - Animal Farm - George Orwell
    - The Trial - Franz Kafka
    (compiled with the help of my 'books I wasted my time on' shelf on goodreads.com)

12. These are interesting responses. I agree that The Trial is a paranoiac waste of time, although I liked the parts of Anna Karenina without the tiresome Levin ( a self-portrait of Tolstoy) and his theories.Someone should try to edit it.
    Another time-waster- Memoirs of a Geisha

13. Catcher in the Rye - I only read it because I thought I ought to. Hated it - although I can't remember why.
    I never managed to finish anything by A.S Byatt even though several of my friends have raved about her.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I like George Eliot though not as much as Dickens and I can't stand James Joyce and find Ulysses indigestible, surreal and ridiculous.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I can't stand her either. Another pretentious one who has to put in irrelevant bits of obscure knowledge to show off all the time. I'd rather have her sister Dribble.

16. The Life of Pi was ridiculous, undeserving of its acclaim

17. I agree, couldn't get past the first chapter. Utter nonsense as far as I could work out.

18. Black and Asian writers benefit from the climate of PC. The Life of Pi is like sub-standard Rushdie, then he's in a boat with a tiger. And survives.

19. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I disagree, I love this one. Have just finished rereading it.

20. Boring and not even sexy. Another waste of time- Dr Zhivago