1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overpayment of wages

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by newICTeacher, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hope someone can help as I am currently feeling a distressed. Have been told today that I have been overpaid since I have started work at my current school over 3 years ago and now they are requesting I pay the money back.

The basic story is this: When I received my contract I noticed that they had put me on the wrong point scale so phoned the HR department and explained the mistake to be told that it was that scale on the paperwork sent in from the school and therefore will be the scale I started on. I mentioned it to my performance management reviewer in our first meeting and they said they would look into it and come back to me if there was an issue - I heard nothing! Everything has been fine and I have progressed through the points as usual, however now I have applied for threshold they have noticed the mistake and now want all the overpayment back.

My question is can they do this?

2. They are required to claim back the overpayment. It is possible to defend this claim in some cases. But the fact that you knew that you was being overpaid and told them probabaly weakens your arguement.
    Get Union advice to see if you can stop or reduce the repayments. I expect the best you can hope for is to negotiate over the time scale to repay the money.
    Good Luck
    Colin