1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overheard a shouting match between teacher and pupil

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by venny414, Nov 25, 2019.

1. venny414

venny414 New commenter

Odd one this one,

I was sat in the classroom at lunchtime prepping for the next lesson when I overhead a teacher shout at a pupil for something that they had done a previous day. I can't divulge too much about what the student had done, but it was quite a silly thing to do on a school trip that could have had some disastrous consequences.

The teacher in question did have every right to be angry, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with what she did. She full on shouted/unleashed at this student - it was so loud I heard it word for word in the neighbouring classroom with both doors shut. She said things such as -

'How stupid do you have to be to understand that x is dangerous'

'You are a safeguarding risk'

'You are embarrassing'

As a supply teacher overhearing this I'm not overly comfortable. The teacher really has gone for this particular student and made them stand in the classroom facing the wall through their lunchtime. I don't know the teacher or the student in question but I felt uncomfortable hearing it.

Am I reading too much into it?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

well, they clearly were not shut away together, as it was audible, so public - i would hope that this was not uncontrolled anger, but had been thought through as an appropriate response to the action.

Depends on the action in question, and the age of the child. I wouldn't personally go down this route, but in some circumstances would support the right of another teacher to choose to.

3. venny414

venny414 New commenter

To shout to a child that she was an embarrassment?

As I say, perhaps I’m reading this one wrong.

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Unless you feel that there were any safeguarding issues I would let the matter drop.

If there were any safeguarding issues then you need to report it to the appropriate person.

peter12171 and pepper5 like this.
  5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You felt uncomfortable with the situation and it is still playing on your mind. I think it is therefore worthwhile writing a factual account of the incident and passing it on to the headteacher. That way you are making someone else aware of what you heard, and letting him/her decide whether it is concerning or not. If the head thinks it's nothing to worry about, he/she will do nothing. But he/she would rather hear about an incident that's not a cause for concern, than not hear about an incident that is a cause for concern, so it won't be a waste of anyone's time and will set your mind at ease.

davidmu likes this.
  6. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

Report it if you feel that's appropriate - but don't be too quick to judge.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Hmm. You might find your services won't be required any longer...

Perhaps have a word with her HOD, first, rather than jumping the gun.

sebedina, HelenREMfan and Jesmond12 like this.
  8. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

If you heard it, it's likely others did too - permanent members of staff. If they felt concerned, then it's likely the issue has already been raised. Also, you don't really know the full circumstances, you don't know what the student is like, whether there have been other incidents involving this student and this incident proved to be a step too far. I think you need to be careful. As Dunteachin says, you could well find your services no longer required.

sebedina likes this.
  9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

You might need a teacher - perhaps that same teacher to support and back you up one day.

hhhh, sebedina and Corvuscorax like this.
  10. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

I would leave this one alone.

If the actions of the student could had lead to someone getting badly injured (or worse) then being told they are "stupid" or " an embarrassment" are minor in comparison.

sebedina and Corvuscorax like this.
  11. venny414

venny414 New commenter

Thanks for your advice all.

I did in fact mention this to the Head after the day. He seemed to appreciate me bringing it to his attention. Whether he'll follow it up/how he'll follow it up isn't my concern, but at least I can draw a line under it and move on happily.

Thanks for the advice but my apologies, I never operate under the assumption that 'someone else will deal with it if it needs it.' Whether that's on supply or not. I'm sure that's not what you meant and you're only referring to this particular situation.

The suggestion being that if I did flag this up with the Head and it somehow got back that it was me, that the member of staff in question would refuse to help me?

No judgement from me at all - didn't know either the colleague or pupil in question. I can only speak for how I felt at the time.