1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Overbearing TA

Discussion in 'Primary' started by poncho1, Sep 13, 2018.

1. poncho1

poncho1 New commenter

I really need some advice. I am on my seventh year of teaching and never had this problem. I have recently moved year groups and I have a new TA who works between my class and my colleague's class. We are both having problems with her. There are 4 teachers and 2 TAs in the bay and it is as if she is the boss. She has a rude and aggressive manner. She will constantly find faults and disagree with whatever we suggest e.g. when talking about a display she said to my colleague, "I will do it because your handwriting is like a 5 year old's" and also "I will do display work this lesson because your lesson sounds boring." The problem is her mother is governor and other people seem to be frightened of her. We have been to our team leader but he appears also to be frightened of her and is her friend. Any suggestions?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

A difficult one. Let us go through some possible options:

1. Ignore the childish comments
    2. Speak to her directly and tell her that you appreciate positive feedback but not unhelpful remarks
    3. Go to the person next in line after the team leader. Do you have a HR department?
    4. Write to her mum and let her mum give her a telling off

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Who is in charge of the TA team. Talk to them first. Then the head.
    If polite reminders do not work just tell her in no uncertain manner that you are the teacher, she is the assistant and she is NOT in charge. She is a bully

minnie me and pepper5 like this.
  4. ptwest

ptwest New commenter

I once had this- I decided to hit the situation head on. I firstly checked the relevant job description to make sure that I was watertight with my expectations.
    1) She announced that she would not do displays. Task on day one was do a display. When I got a complaint, I asked the person to take it up with the head. (I should add that this person was actually very talented at this, it wasnt a fear of doing it).
    2) I was told which children she would be prepared to work with. A new timetable was duly sorted which involved all children. Again, once I got the grumbles I told her to take it up with the head if I was being unreasonable.
    3) I heard her saying that I didn't know what I was doing. I called her bluff and asked her to tell me what (in her opinion) I was doing wrong - apparently nothing as it turned out, but I did say that she needed to speak with me if ever she felt there was something that wasn't working for any of the children in the class or if there were successes to know about then i wanted to know that too. Basically, allowing her to have her opinions and making sure that they were valued, but only if it was of direct relevance to the needs of the children.

I should add that this sounds very confrontational, I tried to do this in a way that was firm but reasonable, leaving now doubt that I valued her work in the classroom but that I was in charge. In the end we actually built up an excellent working relationship and the pattern of behaviour was changed. She became a very valuable asset in the classroom.

Trekkie and Pomza like this.
  5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

had a TA last year who kept shouting at children across the classroom while I was teaching. After several polite reminders I ended up effectively telling her to shut up. She went off in a huff and worked next door(s) where she carried on doing just the same. A couple of weeks later she came back and we have worked positively ever since. The new head was surprised when I said we worked well together, "she is a shouter"
    I simply replied she did not shout in my classroom as I sorted it out.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Policy documents which detail how the TA is deployed ? PM targets - addressing areas for development / improvement ?
    Evidence based areas for concern - not anecdotal. TA standards / professionalism ? Do you have the rights , responsibilities, respect, relationships agenda in situ ? Many ways to tackle but you / the setting would be failing in its obligation to support the students learning if you allow the present situation to continue. Nor are you doing her any favours by not tackling / addressing. Sometimes you have to grasp nettles. Consistency is key.

7. pricey4

pricey4 New commenter

Haha she sounds entertaining.

8. fly

fly New commenter

I feel your pain. The job is hard enough already, without the ‘assistant’ making demands too. Mine tries to be so quick with everything that nothing is done properly. She gets to the end of her list but I pick up the pieces. Useful replies here....I am going to actively tackle this situation .....soon!

9. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

I don't feel that comment was helpful for a difficult situation.