1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Over-reaction to mispronounced names

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by AbigailMelville, May 4, 2012.

1. I am on my second teaching placement and still getting name prenounciations of pupils wrong. I'm getting pupils calling out corrections of names in an innapropriate way (esp years 7 and 9). In some cases I can apologise to the individual, get them to correct it and explain I'm still learning a lot of names. In others the whole class starts commenting and repeating the mispronounciation as a joke against that pupil. I don't want to make a huge deal of it but I am having to stop the lesson, call for silence, wait, and chastise individuals for calling out. There must be an effective line that would kill this off more effectively.
    Any ideas?
    Does anyone have a quick, clear response for dealing with this?

2. I am on my second teaching placement and still getting name prenounciations of pupils wrong. I'm getting pupils calling out corrections of names in an innapropriate way (esp years 7 and 9). In some cases I can apologise to the individual, get them to correct it and explain I'm still learning a lot of names. In others the whole class starts commenting and repeating the mispronounciation as a joke against that pupil. I don't want to make a huge deal of it but I am having to stop the lesson, call for silence, wait, and chastise individuals for calling out. There must be an effective line that would kill this off more effectively.
    Any ideas?
    Does anyone have a quick, clear response for dealing with this?

3. When you're going through the register, if you come across a name you're not sure of, ask the kid to confirm how to pronounce their name.

4. If you have a TA, get him/her to do it. If not, ask a sensible looking pupil to call out the names and you tick them off.

5. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

In the register, write out the name phonetically in pencil above where you have written it spelt the correct way. I've had this problem, and it really works! Obviously it is inappropriate for the students to use this as an excuse to misbehave, but on the other hand I would be annoyed if I was a student and my teacher didn't know how to pronounce my name after a few lessons, as it would feel (unfairly) like they didn't care. Try to minimise the opportunities for misbehaviour by getting things right at your end, then you can come down hard if they still misbehave.

6. I agree - you need to learn their names and the problem will be solved. No-one likes it if someone keeps getting their name wrong - however, you could also find out if anyone has their name shortened and that might be easier to remember - most people don't like their Sunday names being used all the time either. Good luck

7. I think you're missing the point.
    Consider how the pupils would behave for a "scary" teacher: the first time, they might volunteer the correct pronunciation. If it happened again, they would not dare to use it as an excuse to engineer disruptions.
    The OP is a trainee. I would suggest that before she learns anyone's name, she should learn how to make pupils unwilling to cross her.

8. Yes you're right, she shouldn't take the time to learn their names at all - she should call them by their most prominant physical feature, that should work a treat.

9. Come come, you know I didn't suggest anything of the sort.
    Please don't resort to straw men.