1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Outstanding" teachers from girls grammar showing us how to teach!!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mathsboddeen, Jul 17, 2013.

1. I doubt many will as it will highlight to their school the type of teachers they are working with.

I know for sure that if I had expressed views similar to those in the post I would have been hauled in front of my HoD.

I very much doubt you will post your name and school you work at as the comments could be deemed unprofessional and potentially hinder your chances of another job.

Fortunately I no longer rely on the income to make it through but if I did i certainly would never state such narrow minded things.

2. I think the OP has a very valid point.

I would resent very much such teachers coming into my school, when our schools are so very different. I am sure that some of the Princesses teachers have comp backgrounds, but that is not at all the same as being up-to-date, working in this background every day. I think Daisy and Pruscilla should keep their teachers and horse riding clubs, whilst we continue to battle with deprivation and behaviour, and trying to get students a C grade before they are 40, and all because the grammars leave a concentrated stagnant pool in their wake.

Help for the OP should come from similar types of schools doing well, not from schools for princesses, who do so much damage to the life chances of those whose families can't afford tutors to pass the 11+.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Are some of the posts in this thread being blocked?

4. OP, I understand you pain. However you must accept that there is something to learn from every single other teacher. Even if it's just one little thing, seeing something a bit different, or even just being given the time to reflect and thinking about situations in a different way.

As soon as you enter any type of learning environment with a closed mind, it is pointless to even attempt to learn anything.

5. The OP has nothing to apologise for. Whoever thought that taking maths teachers from a girls grammar school and parachuting them into Scumsville Academy to resolve problems needs their head examining.

6. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

There's no way I'm revealing my true identity.

7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

would that be the girls grammar school that is busy building an empire of Academies controlled from their school?

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I was in a school, fixed term contract, last year that was invaded and in fact taken over by a grammar from a few counties away.

Not sure they gave feedback on what they saw. More a case of "this is our method, which you will all be following as of now!"

10. Vince_Ulam

Sad to say as it is to see, schools are just assets now.

11. Vince_Ulam

They've got a hammer so all the World's a nail.

Is that Pink Floyd I hear?