1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outstanding persuasion lesson Year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lo77ee, Oct 23, 2011.

1. I have got to present an outstanding lesson to a group of Year 3 pupils next half term. I am going to introduce the unit of persuasion linked to my next learning unit. Loosely speaking, it will be an introductory lesson looking at persuasive posters of a particular country and then getting the children to say why they are persuasive and successful.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas as to how I can spice this up??

Thanks in advance!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why has it got to be outstanding?

3. Because I am an AST and nothing less is good enough! Just have a bit of a mind block thats all!

4. pyg2009

pyg2009 New commenter

I once got my children to design a persuasive poster based on a useless object. Got some fantastic responses, such as a poster persuading me to buy a hairy hair clip. The children loved it! Just an idea.

5. Bit confused by the terminology 'present an outstanding lesson to year 3 pupils' - isn't the judgement dependent on how those pupils are involved and learn in the lesson?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I assume this is a demonstration lesson that others ought to learn from, if you are an AST.

I would do some oral persuasion, get the children to try and persuade you to do something weird and wacky. Something possible, but not what you would ever normally do in a classroom. (Pour custard over your head or similar.)

Then, similar to someone else's suggestion, give out oddities and curiosities and ask children to create a speech or poster to persuade someone to buy them. They need to come up with a use for the object and why someone should buy it.

Then finish with partner talk to persuade their partner (said partner marks tick box style against SC). Then all back together on carpet and choose one or two (for a demo lesson your more capable children might be safer) to persuade the class.

Weird that, as an AST, you can't think of brilliant lessons...I don't know that much about them, but thought the point was that they were amazing and showed the rest of us how to do it.

7. Exactly my thoughts too.
    Why on earth are some teachers under the impression that it is the lesson plan/idea that is outstanding?! Outstanding will come from the delivery, the in lesson AfL, pitching the learning correctly, differentiation and most importantly, the children making progress within the lesson etc etc - not the activity.
    Not trying to 'attack' the OP but I went to see an AST deliver a Maths lesson a year ago and was dumbfounded to say the least - no differentiation just one task that they all approached in silence. Eh?!

8. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

There is a unit on www.emmarogers.org.uk in which the children study 3 books about the rainforest - the great kapok tree, the shaman's apprentice and the vanishing rainforest. The written outcome for the unit is a collaborative poster to persuade the audience of the importance of the rainforest to the community and the world.
    This unit will produce 'outstanding lessons', but not sure how you do an outstanding lesson as a one off. Surely high quality learning in Literacy is dependent on the teaching sequence, with lots of oral rehearsal, engagement with texts and speaking and listening opportunities. This makes it near impossible to plan one lesson without considering the whole unit and progression within it.