1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outstanding MFL Lesson Plan

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MsFranglais1979, Jul 17, 2011.

1. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I tried to copy and paste a picture of a bandwagon, but it didn't work. That'll teach me to try and be clever [​IMG]

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

[​IMG]

mind you ---- I am now curious as to what was on offer!
    I have delivered an IDENTICALLY PLANNED lesson to 3 groups for Obs [extn and support tasks the same, lesson content the same etc etc etc] and received Outstanding, Good and Satisfactory for it: it is all down to what the students are doing during teh lesson, not what we are doing!

3. noemie

Henriette, that was exactly my thought.
    Although having said that, I have planned some lessons over the summer which I'm stupidly excited about teaching [​IMG]

4. Hi,

I have just finished my PGCE this June and I am starting my NQT year this September, I am very keen to keep improving and wondered if possible please could you send me the same document.

It would be very much appreciated,

Many Thanks

Laura

5. Hi there I would be interested too as I have a similar problem. Thanks Ed

6. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

I'd like to recommend to you this blogpost by Michelle Cairns, who has been looking in to that exact same question - http://michellecairnsmfl.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/ideas-for-outstanding-mfl-lessons/
    This blogpost is also very useful: http://frenchteachernet.blogspot.com/2011/06/good-to-outstanding.html
    You may also want to have a look at the information on this wiki: http://outstanding-lessons.wikispaces.com/What+makes+a+lesson+outstanding%3F
    [​IMG]

7. Hello,
    To jump on the bandwagon could I possibly have a copy at jess_moss1@hotmail.com ?
    I begin my Primary MFL PGCE in a little over a week and I am petrified.

Jess

8. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

You will find the Wiki mentioned before particularly useful as it's primary based.

9. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

All this is most helpful and useful, but may I just suggest a word of caution. As was said earlier, the lesson will, to an extent, depend on the kids. And on the time of day, the weather - and any number of chance things.
    I don't think that you can achieve an outstanding leson without planning it - I'm very keen on planning (not meticulous detail by the minute, but knowing what you want to do throughout the time and an ace or two up your sleeve for back-up!) - but those lessons where I've come out of the room and thought "Yes! That was ace!" have been thus for reasons that I'm not sure I could either fully identify or often replicate.
    They haven't been that frequent, either, I have to say. Maybe two or three a month that I've ben totally satisfied with. That's in a school with average kids and no behavioural issues (in my groups anyway).
    I've also dropped in on a few very experienced teachers, and usually seen excellent teaching, but not "outstanding" lessons.
    So I suppose I'm saying that I don't think you should get too hung up on the Ofsted "outstanding" stuff.
    I think I'm a good teacher - and so do my colleagues and the kids, so I'm very happy and feel fulfilled in my job after 4 years. And I'll always listen to advice and try to improve and learn. But whether anyone - including the loved-and-respected-by-all history teacher who has taught at our place for over 30 years - can regularly produce "outstanding" lessons - that's "outstanding" rather than competent, effective and appropriate - I'd doubt. I'm sure I couldn't.

10. noemie

hear, hear!

11. I would also be interested in this document.If you could send it to me. I would be very grateful. thanks

12. I would really appreciate a copy of this too please, if possible [​IMG] amygoodwin1985@hotmail.com. Thanks in advance!!

13. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

What is wrong with you people? You are making a rod for your own metaphorical backs. If everyone becomes outstanding, "outstanding" will mean "normal", like "satisfactory" used to, and we all know that satisfactory isn't good enough. Plus, if you are judged "outstanding", your school will tell OFSTED and they will undoubtedly want to come and observe you.
    Why can't you just be happy in your mediocrity and leave "outstanding" to the professionals?

14. you're so right.. but we still want to be better than satisfactory... I got observed by our Deputy Head (who is in charge of all PGCE students etc.) in a primary school.. got outstanding for everything.. same week got observed in high school .. top set.. by HOD.. satisfactory for everything..and apparently I was lucky to get that.. what a joke..

15. This is all so silly.
    What happens in individual lessons is less important than the progress made over the long term. If a lesson consists of nothing but verb drills - and the pupils end up being great at verbs and getting top grades because of it - then that's outstanding.
    I never use group work - the idea that should be a part of an outstanding lesson leaves me utterly bemused.

16. tammyround

tammyround New commenter

Sorry for sticking my nose in but I would love a copy of the document as well. It's always good to look at other ideas and use it to evaluate my teaching. I take on board what everyone is saying about 'outstanding being special and we should't make it run of the mill' but I still want to make sure that my practise doesn't get stagnant. I have moved into primary teaching after teaching MFL at secondary. As a consequence I don't get a chance to talk with other MFL teachers - even something as simple as catching a glimpse of a fun worksheet or game idea in the photocopier room or chat through ways of differentiating an activity down or up with someone after a touch lesson. So I would love to look at your planning and getting a feel for how to move my lesson planning on. tammyround@yahoo.co.uk7
    Have you thought about posting it on TES resources and posting the link online. I only suggest it so that it may be easier since I get the feeling lots of people are really interested in it.
    A big thanks x

17. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

Bang on! My HT once graded a lesson of mine as outstanding, when it was nothing of the sort. The pressure on me to perform to that level from then on was intense. When the same HT and an Ofsted inspector did a joint observation a year and a half later, that lesson was satisfactory. Result: one embarrassed and livid head. As far as I was concerned, it was his own stupid fault for thinking he knew the difference.
    As far as I'm concerned it is not up to Ofsted to define words.

18. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I agree with the first speaker but all the subsequent views are irrelevant.
    Take a look at p.97, chapter 4, Universal Communication from the book The
    Perverse Utopia: Exploring its Fiction, Philosophy and Social History - eBook version,
    (Rossendale Books/Lulu.com)
    . I use this chapter in my own language
    teacher meetings as a basis to highlight the real language
    debate. After reading this chapter teachers know what languages to focus on and
    which ones to ignore.

19. Could I get a copy please?