1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

outstanding lesson observation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by eedwards, Nov 21, 2009.

1. rich_m

rich_m New commenter

I agree that many observations are such a limited snapshot view that they aren't fair, but the latest ofsted criteria does include prior data as a key indicator of performance. It should not just be a 20 minute exercise in ticking boxes and this does alleviate the issue somewhat, if your data is good and shows progress then you should be credited for that.

One key thing we're constantly hearing from ofsted and other observations is that the best lessons have minimal (approaching no) teacher led learning, all of it is students doing the learning, you're there to address misconceptions. While this is fine for observations and such, as a long term teaching strategy for maths it is not feasible, even the brightest need "chalk and talk" from time to time.

I had an observation yesterday with my year 10s and was graded good, which is good enough for me. They weren't an easy group when I got them and still aren't, yet I know they are making good progress and will get the results they deserve at the end of the day.

2. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

We've recently been 'done'. The 2 'outstanding' lessons were: (1) students spending most of the hour working through a revision exrecise from their textbook. (2) students spending most of the hour working through a tenticks sheet. The 3 good lessons included Tarsias, treasure hunts, teacher talk, interruptions to determine how much progress was being made, mini-plenaries, etc, and some exercises from the sheets/book. The satisfactory lesson involved a lot of ICT. Funny how things turn on ther head.

Bric (chalk at the ready)

ps. this is true.

3. Thank you Strawbs - useful.

4. Up-to-date info on what is wanted in Maths is sorely needed - the generic advice metered out does not always extend well to Maths. If anyone has a mathsified version I am desperate to read one.

5. Nimstar

Nimstar New commenter

I hear that... I consider it a successful day when none of the kids have thrown each other off chairs or stabbed each other with compasses!