1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outstanding in 30 mins?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tjjordan, Apr 4, 2012.

1. tjjordan

tjjordan New commenter

Dear Theo,

I am afraid to say that I am at my witt's end! I am looking for a new job in MFL (French, Spanish and promise of basic Russian as extra-curricular).

Initially, I had issues with getting interview, but after following advice on your forum, interviews just keep coming thick amd fast which is great!

But.... Had 5 interviews now and I either get the "you're great, but not sufficiently experienced " whilst I have 4 years under my belt in Britian and 4 in France which never seem to count!

I am applying for HOD and MPS.

Recently, however, my lesson seems to be stumbling block, or at least last two say so. One school hinted that what I did was Satisfactory and the other said that my lesson was barely good! I, however, Am at least in my school known as one of the best practitioners as is the same of all the other schools where I have worked.

I am a reflective practitionner and more than willing to take constructive criticism on board, but it seems so difficult to elicit what exactly are the ingredients of this illusive outstanding in 30 mins of interview.

Please, Theo, are there any pointers that you can given me?

many thanks,
    A frustrated teacher!

2. tjjordan

tjjordan New commenter

Dear Theo,

I am afraid to say that I am at my witt's end! I am looking for a new job in MFL (French, Spanish and promise of basic Russian as extra-curricular).

Initially, I had issues with getting interview, but after following advice on your forum, interviews just keep coming thick amd fast which is great!

But.... Had 5 interviews now and I either get the "you're great, but not sufficiently experienced " whilst I have 4 years under my belt in Britian and 4 in France which never seem to count!

I am applying for HOD and MPS.

Recently, however, my lesson seems to be stumbling block, or at least last two say so. One school hinted that what I did was Satisfactory and the other said that my lesson was barely good! I, however, Am at least in my school known as one of the best practitioners as is the same of all the other schools where I have worked.

I am a reflective practitionner and more than willing to take constructive criticism on board, but it seems so difficult to elicit what exactly are the ingredients of this illusive outstanding in 30 mins of interview.

Please, Theo, are there any pointers that you can given me?

many thanks,
    A frustrated teacher!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

O.K., so you are (a) actually finding jobs to apply for, and (b) getting interviews.
    Two strong points there.
    But falling down, possibly in the teaching? Here are two threads that may be helpful.
    20 minute interview lesson
    * * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *
    Very best of wishes!

4. tjjordan

tjjordan New commenter

Dear Theo,
    Many thanks for your reply. I will buy the book and the links are really helpful. It is comforting to find that many other teachers find teaching in 20 - 30 mins for an interview tricky.
    I will let you know how things shape up!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!

6. tjjordan

tjjordan New commenter

Dear Theo, I got the job!

The book was certainly helpful and inspirational. The lesson planning section helped tick boxes too.

I think the crux of my successful appointement was showing progress; I would advise any applicant to think of how they might make progress almost explocit in an interview lesson.

An elated teacher of MFL

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This is too exciting to be added as an afterthought to a thread. Not everyone would think to look here for that all important 'Dear Theo I got the job' anouncement to encourage others. Go start a new thread so everyone who 'lurks' or posts can be encouraged.
    Meanwhile, Cogratulations.[​IMG]