1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outstanding dilemma

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by VanderWaal, Feb 13, 2012.

1. VanderWaal

VanderWaal New commenter

I can produce outstanding GCSE and A Level results but I cannot produce outstanding lessons. I don't know how my Head Teacher will cope with my shortcomings in the next Ofsted inspection.Oh well, you can't have your cake and eat it!

2. Seeing as Ofsted inspections are all about data, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

3. A cynical response like that is hardly helpful to the OP, and utter rubbish anyway.
    A common issue is that teachers produce outstanding results in exams but the quality of teaching and learning is good and sometimes satisfactory for a variety of reasons. You've rightly taken the first step in improving your teaching by acknowledging there is a mismatch between your results and your teaching. Being a reflective practitioner is essential in any road to improvement.
    If your school has a coaching programme, get involved so you can get some good quality feedback on your teaching. If it doesn't, find somebody who you trust and can teach great lessons to do some short observations of your teaching. Make time to see other good and outstanding practitioners. Go to your headteacher, don't wait for him to come to see you, and talk about your concerns with him. If he's half decent, he'll give you all the support you need and will respect you for being in touch with your own development.

4. VanderWaal

VanderWaal New commenter

Hi,
    Thank you for your advice but my initial post was a bit tongue-in-cheek!
    I am very lucky this year to have mainly A Level classes and 2 top sets as part of my time-table. My students tell me they like my style of teaching, they learn, they make progress and they achieve good/outstanding results. I would rather continue with making my lessons as good as I can and be the most requested teacher to teach my subject and not get worried about ticking all the boxes for that outstanding lesson.
    You are right about being reflective to improve and I know this is what I do most of the time for my classes but I don't know of any teachers who teach outstanding lessons all of the time. For many teachers it is that one-off show piece for the observed lesson and the majority of these teachers are so hung up about "getting an outstanding" that anything less will not do
    If the lesson graded outstanding is not how you normally teach then, in my opinion, you are not an outstanding teacher (under the current Ofsted criteria).
    Perhaps I should go and observe those outstanding practioners..at no notice of course and see it as is it!