1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outstanding D&T lesson impossible?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by KnittyWench, Jun 13, 2011.

1. For every single lesson? Two levels of progress? So if you observe someone teaching twice in a year they have to improve their classes by 4 levels?
    I think they are confusing progress in key stages - 3 levels from KS2 to KS4 and hence 2 levels from KS3 to end of KS4.
    Or do they mean sub levels with KS3.
    Perhaps you need to ask for further clarification and examples.

2. What utter nonsense. If students are meant to progress two full NC levels in three years that is two sub levels per year. So are you expected to make a years progress in an hour? Maybe they want to see measurable progress in one section of the NC still two levels is nonsense

3. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Ah this is priceless, if anyone was able to achieve this you would'nt be "outstanding" you'd be Stephen Hawkins.........superb some of the things you hear.
    I have been through the new Ofsted criteria 4-5 weeks ago and no SMT/SLT did'nt do it, a trained and praticing Ofsted inspector came in. 4 criteria with grades leading to a "one" in each area for "outstanding", which its not called any more. What they want to see is progress from a pupils start point. This is not done via NC levels because you cannot show that in one lesson, I got all ones therefore outstanding, am an AST and I DID NOT get the pupils to move up one NC level let alone 2 in a lesson!!!! Thats a struggle in a year .
    They were using blooms and expected my bright pupils to move from simple recall through to evaluation, passing through things like analysis and synthesis. I showed this through structured challenge and questioning, with targeted pupils.We were told to "chunk" the pupils data. I.E) 20 pupils, what levels are they at? 6 pupils on level 5B 10 pupils on 5A and 10 pupils on 6A. So I structured the lesson to fit in with all my group, Q+A at all different levels, lots of challenge. The inspector spoke to my most able and least and judged the movement of learning against Blooms Taxonomy not NC levels, ha ha, sorry can't get over this one.....2 NC levels in one lesson....really LOL!!
    I have been involved in lesson obs and was invited over to Canada in November to help them set up an inspection process, which in Western Quebec, they do,or did not have. I used a similar system there and its very effective. Long gone are the days of show boating. Now if you have wicked resources, lots of noises and visuals, all pupils pay attention and you lead the whole thing, no questions, challenge, then the kids are just passengers and you would get satisfactory at absolute best. Dont take my word for it, check out Blooms, new Ofsted criteria etc, why would you trust me, I am just a HOD , Not SMT ha ha , brilliant!!!!

4. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

So sorry I got my maths wrong with the group " chunk", I could'nt see because of tears of laughter!!!
    Forget Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington!!! You're SMT are the Shizzal!!
    Cheers
    Spencer

5. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

2 levels progress in one lesson...?

KS3 AND 4 could only last 6 weeks!

6. What???????

That's all I can say to that?!?! I'm so dying to know what school you work at so I can avoid any job vacancies by 300 miles!!!!!!!

7. Thanks everyone, I brought it up in our HoDs meeting this week and got much support from my fellow HoDs....SMT admit that it may not be quite right...SHOCKER....and are awaiting a visit from another guru who will hopefully cancel out the previous guru who said this lunacy was the business. UNBELIEVABLE. Glad it's not me that's going mad :)