1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outstanding cross curricular writing lesson year 2!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by barcleycard, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Hello, I have to teach a lesson to a class of year two pupils for a long term supply post. This is not the year group the post is for but have been asked to teach. It needs to be a cross curricular writing session based on plants or animals for an hour. Only found out late this evening and the scope is massive. Just wondered if anyone had any good ideas or lessons they have previously done that went well? Any ideas appreciated and i thank you in advance for any posts submitted.

Thanks again Kirsty

2. Hello, I have to teach a lesson to a class of year two pupils for a long term supply post. This is not the year group the post is for but have been asked to teach. It needs to be a cross curricular writing session based on plants or animals for an hour. Only found out late this evening and the scope is massive. Just wondered if anyone had any good ideas or lessons they have previously done that went well? Any ideas appreciated and i thank you in advance for any posts submitted.

Thanks again Kirsty

3. Hi, Kirsty -- Does "year two" mean second-graders at about 8 years old or refer to the second year of high school? If the latter, I'd suggest that you demonstrate in your cross-curricular environment that scientists classify plants and animals by comparing and contrasting them. Scientists classify by defining the characteristics that members of the class share. That gives you at least two rhetorical modes to work with. Add description, and viola, a "findings report" in which you can ask the students to compare and contrast two "bugs" or two "flowers" with the purpose being to describe how the specimens are both different and similar. Hope this helps. Good luck. Nan

4. Thanks for the reply, they are 6 and 7 years old. K

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd do a story or some such to start, with some drama and then the writing.

Think what you actually want them to learn in the writing. What specific aspect of writing will you be teaching? Use that as your LO and SC.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Create a class fact file of either plants or animals modelling the basic structure

7. There's another thread on here somewhere about 'really looking' which is a poetry unit based, as you might guess, at really looking closely at things, including plants and animals. The person who posted the thread originally was linking it in with their topic of minibeasts - so you may get some ideas there. I'm sure you'd find loads of resources on the 'really looking' unit if you googled it as it's one of the year 2 literacy units in the framework for literacy.

You may want to look up the framework and see if you like the look of any of the non-fiction text types for year 2, or maybe even years 1/3 if you can differentiate the objectives. You could use photos of animals or plants and get them to write captions, explain the life cycle of ..., etc

Have you got any ideas yourself that we could comment on?

8. Make a class set of 'trading cards' (e.g. Top Trumps) based on animals. They each choose an animal and describe in on the card, stick a picture, give the animal some numerical 'ratings' for different characteristics... loads of cross-curricular in there! Science, Literacy, Maths...

9. Thanks guys i have loads to think about haz i really like your idea. I had ideas for the input but then struggled on how i would take it further, i was thinking an alien came down from outer space and needed some information etc. i also thought animal was lost in wrong habitat and they had to draw a map and direct him home. think i want to do animals rather than plants there is just so much i could do but without knowing the class etc its hard.

Thanks again

10. Hi just wanted to say thanks for all your help. decided to go with the alien challenge and a teaching input on classification of animals. For the independent activities they are doing top trump cards. Did a trial run today and they loved it even though i got a lesson in being hip and cool and apparently they prefer to call them match attack cards ha.

K