1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outstanding criteria on ofsted

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by bluey9, May 21, 2011.

1. bluey9

bluey9 New commenter

Hello I was wondering if it is possible to have every criteria marked off on the outstanding criteria and still only give a good. I managed to get every criteria with no real remarks for improvement , yet was only given good for my observation. can I argue against this ? Also should the Headteacher be suing the ofsted criteria?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As I said on the other thread you've started on this, there's no reason why you can't ask the head for clarification as towhat you should have done in order to gain an 'outstanding' judgement.
    But 'argue' - with the head, do you mean? As it's a judgment call, simply asking for clarification is your best plan.
    Should the head be using Ofsted criteria? If he wants to, he can.

3. bluey9

bluey9 New commenter

Hi not sure argue was the best use of words. I just feel slightly confused. as others that had it all highlighted were given outstanding. I was given good with a note underneath that it was exceptional and an arrow pointing towards outstanding. she said it was exceptional and just need slight tweaks and did i want to argue against her grading. I was so glad it had gone well i just wanted to relax, however now everyone else is achiving outstanding i'm starting to feel like the weaklink within the school. I know the fact that she has written this is beyond good should make me feel great but it doesnt. My head is a lovely lady, very approachable and helpful i dont know wether to air my thoughts or just forget it and let her get on with more important matters than my gripes about an observation.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ask to see her (I don't know why I assumed it was a man!) and 'nicely' ask if she could go through it with you and give you pointers as to why it didn't get outstanding - the best way of 'arguing' your case is to ask for 'advice', I think.
    As a head I've (in the past, when teachers used to get seen a lot more and were told their individual gradings) done this with inspectors on behalf of several staff and more than once they've reflected - in the course of explaining - that it should have been graded higher and changed it.
    Be nice and you've nothing to lose.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

'criterion' is singular, 'criteria', plural. I know I am being pedantic.