1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outside sand pit,

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Leapyearbaby64, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

There is some H&S thing about not using builders sand, though quite why I don't know. When the children are playing with chppings and mud in the same environment it seems bonkers to have to pay for "cleaned" sand.

2. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

I agree, it's good practice to let them dig in the garden but not in sand. I think I have found somewhere that I can by 1 tonne of play sand in the big bag for £90 at least it's £50 cheaper then buying it in small bags. It will give the caretaker something to do over the summer to wheel barrow it all across the play ground, wont I popular?

3. Dear Miss Piggywig
    Where was this cheaper, large quantity of play sand? - I am also in need of a large amount!!
    Thank you in advance.

4. I have lined my sand pit with that weed suppressing stuff from garden centres, seems to work okay so far (1 year) and the sand came from the County Grounds dept who have sand for the athletic grounds. It was cheaper for me as school paid instead of me!

5. Gamina

Gamina New commenter

Silver sand is just playsand but playsand is cleaned a little more. Baring in mind we have them rooting in the dirt and digging in any number of other icky substances it wouldn't hurt. Its builders sand that can cause the issues.

6. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

I found this web site says 1 tonne bag is £89
    onlinesand.onlineturf.co.uk then put in play sand.
    Now going to price silver sand but it seemed just as expensive when I last looked.
    Thanks everyone