1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outside Reception area is terrible

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by zippygeorgeandben, Sep 9, 2017.

1. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben New commenter

Hello everyone,
    I'm recently the EYFS lead at a new school (enjoying it so far). However, the outside area is a total failure. It has a leaking canopy roof, no money has been spent on this outside area and staff are reluctant to go outside because, well it's depressing.
    Couple of points to make:
    Can someone inspire me as to make the area much more enticing for children? Any resources which are sure winners?
    Where do you all look for outdoor resources? What budget do you think I could reasonably ask for? If you had a bottomless pit what would you ask for?
    Hoping that someone on here can point me in the right direction as I really want to come across as a doer and give the school an outside area to be truly proud of.
    Thans

calamansi likes this.
  2. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Could you go down the health and safety route?

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

On a simple quick fix level do you have a scrap store so you can get loads if open ended resources plus a storage bench or shed.

4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

One thing that we did was jet wash the area -ours was horrid too. That in itself just made it look cleaner.

What do you currently have as outdoor resources?

5. cathyg27

cathyg27 New commenter

Look on Pinterest at mud kitchens made out of pallets. See if your maintenance officer can make one. Search for a water wall with different junk plastics, tubing, funnels etc, ask for as big a budget as you can. See if you can buy a playhouse, some small wooden, cupboard-style sheds to use in a similar way to indoor provision. Get some wood attached to the wall and paint with blackboard paint. Get a range of mark making resources in pots that are easily accessible. Pinterest is great for ideas.

6. didi1866

didi1866 New commenter

I could have written this post myself!!! In a similar position, I can second the jet washing. the little mini plastic greenhouses are great if budget is super tight like mine....entire budget for year....£500 - that's for everything from furniture to glue :(

7. zippygeorgeandben

Didi mine is slightly more than that, which makes me feel guilty! The jet washing has already been done. What I would say is, is that it's the leaves which are an absolute nuisance. Every morning and evening the place is awash with them and takes quite a while to sweep them all away.

8. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Shouldn't a caretaker be doing that?
    They won't be around for long...could the children explore/enjoy/jump about in them/collect them/print with them. It seems a bit like having snow and not making a snowman, somehow!

Gsr25 and harsh-but-fair like this.
  9. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Leaves are the bane of my life, too.

So when I really cannot bear it any longer, I get all of the children outside and I 'challenge' them to see off we can fill 5 black sacks with leaves. It's a really carp challenge because being in the module of the countryside 5 black sacks of leaves is easy Peary, lemon squeezy!

Kids love it, and for just one day I feel like I can see the ground outside!

galerider123 likes this.
  10. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Yes! Couldn’t agree more! Surely they should be used as a natural and free resource? I understand the frustration of them being all over the place but use them to your advantage!

11. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Really depends whether they’re wet or dry I would think.

12. zippygeorgeandben

I'm going to do this tomorrow! Thank you very much!
    Might even start a rota!
    FYI - I'm still really not happy with the outside area. I've purchased higher quality resources so for the children they now have new provision but it just looks untidy.
    I'm at an EarlyExcellence forum in London on Tuesday. Perhaps I'll just ask everyone for a piece of advice!
    Appreciate the comments on here from everyone, thank you.

13. hs9981

hs9981 Occasional commenter

Get a local graffiti artist to make a (child friendly) mural on the walls.