1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outside of the Classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Margarida8Santos, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Margarida8Santos

Margarida8Santos New commenter

I believe that creating a connection with students outside of the classroom has the same level of importance as connecting inside the classroom. It's when teachers truly have the opportunity of changing students lives. School expeditions are an amazing opportunity, not only that, but also to develop in students, through fundraising, the responsibility sense of earning their own money and fighting, as a team, for a final goal. I find it beautiful. And what better graduation trip for them? Let's be honest...for us all.
    I'm thinking about participating in one as a team leader and take my students to climb Kilimanjaro.
    Any useful advice (expedition organisations, materials, other destinations..etc)?? It will be very appreciated and I think a very interesting topic for everyone to discuss.

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Hmm...

Not actually a teacher are you - at least not one with any experience!

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I've been away from this kind of expedition for a while so would not like to comment on specific companies or organisers. But if things go wrong the backing of a good organisation is really important and I don't think I would be prepared to run an expedition which was set up and managed by the school alone any more, although I have done it successfully.
    Even though you use an outside organisation, there is still a mountain of things to do in school beforehand, and the fundraising is tough - but if handled right it's a very powerful educational experience in itself. It'll eat up a lot of your summer holiday too - need to have your family on side.
    Given the right expedition to the right destination, the experience is unforgettable and really important.
    Most of the companies will happily come to see you in school and discuss possibilities without committing you to taking them on. Have a look at some websites to see what the companies offer for destinations and activities. I've not done Kili myself but have done an expedition to Mt Kenya - both of them are walkable but both carry a risk of altitude sickness.
    Hope this helps to get you going.....

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I hesitate to be a killjoy but as a Union Rep the advice for trips always is "Don't do it, NO NOT AT ALL".

I used to be so-so about this advice but on several occasions I organised a trip for 5 Secondary students to go to a chess match. Easily the safest trip it is possible to imagine. However as I was new to this I took advice off 3 separate people on how to do it right and got 3 different answers on process. It dawned on me then that if something went wrong then everyone in school could correctly say "Well Mr C didn't follow the correct process."

I still do chess trips because what can go wrong? However if someone falls off a mountain, or a parent kicks up a fuss over a near miss with lost luggage at Katmandu, the school will have a very strong reasons to use you as a disposable scapegoat.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I appreciate JJC's concerns: there are very real fears over process and so on, and "what if...?" Whether or not you choose to mount such an expedition is clearly a personal decision. There are schools which have an annual or biennial expedition. The most extreme school expedition I have heard of was to Inaccessible Island: just thinking out the logistics for that, let alone the impact on academic work or the risk assessments, is absolutely mind-boggling.
    One advantage of using a company is that the risk is largely taken by them and their professional expedition leaders. There is good quality advice available; certainly on the expeditions where I was school leader the level of detail that the company had put into risk assessment and hazard control was impressive. Potential hospitals had been checked out, for example, phone numbers checked and the best consultant to ask for were named. For anyone considering organising their own, YET http://www.theyet.org/ is a good starting point.