1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outside area planning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cazzmatazz, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have searched the other threads but have not come across an answer so am writing this with the hope you may be able to help!
    My school is expecting 'the call' soon and our phase leader has requested that we put planning on the system for the outside area. This needs to include
    - An overview for the long term use of the outside areas. It needs to show all the FS profile areas and the provisions we have to meet each one.
    - A weekly plan which then shows how we link our topic to all areas in the profile and the types of activities we need to put out daily for the children.
    Am I being a spoil sport for thinking this is alot of extra work just for Ofsted and isn't actually required, or is it generally regarded as the 'norm' and something we as a team should already have in place?
    Any opinions would be greatly recieved

2. Hello,
    I have searched the other threads but have not come across an answer so am writing this with the hope you may be able to help!
    My school is expecting 'the call' soon and our phase leader has requested that we put planning on the system for the outside area. This needs to include
    - An overview for the long term use of the outside areas. It needs to show all the FS profile areas and the provisions we have to meet each one.
    - A weekly plan which then shows how we link our topic to all areas in the profile and the types of activities we need to put out daily for the children.
    Am I being a spoil sport for thinking this is alot of extra work just for Ofsted and isn't actually required, or is it generally regarded as the 'norm' and something we as a team should already have in place?
    Any opinions would be greatly recieved

3. You are not being a spoil sport - this sounds like planning for the sake of OFSTED not to improve the provision.
    In my written plans I try to plan for at least one literacy and one numeracy activity outside each week (doesn't always work - rain and clipboards/dry wipe boards do not mix).
    The rest is continuous curriculum - ie. Resources in the shed self chosen by the children every day depending on their interests.
    I no longer work to a topic but plan to their interests. This half term we have investigated how a zip wire works (child went to adventure playground, saw one and wanted to know, once we started to discuss it, everyone wanted to investigate it), made stop motion films (like Toy Story) and next week will be doing the solar system because a child brought in a model he had made with his mum and the children loved it... so outside next week we will be making rockets and flying to outer space, role play lunar landings etc. I watch for this interest dropping and then ask them what they would like to learn next and it starts all over again.
    I wrote a range of 'Longterm Continuous Curriculum' cards that apply both inside and outside and that is the extent of my planning for the whole year. I will see if I can upload it.

4. Thankyou for your quick reply!
    Your approach to the outside area seems like a much better idea and would really benefit my children alot more than 'planning activities' for the children to choose.
    I am an NQT and started this term (eeek) so just getting my head around things but I am concerned that we are being made to do things which are not necessary. Might have to have a word with NQT mentor
    Thanks again

5. It's a first!
    I actually managed to upload the file! It may not be of any use to you but it is there now anyway.
    It is called EYFS Longterm cards.
    I am now in my fourth year of teaching and learned early on that as long as you can justify your decisions and argue how it benefits the children then most people (SMT and OFSTED) would struggle to put you down for it and if they do it says more about their understanding than it does about yours.
    Good luck. Keep smiling.[​IMG]

6. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

lilput - thanks, those are fab.

7. I love that statement!

8. as long as you have areas of continuous provision outside e.g. digging area, gardening area, climbing frame, den building, games area, etc then you should not have to have additional/seperate outdoor planning as the outsdoor area should be classed as part of the whole learning environment and be on the same planning page as your other areas of learning.
    weekly enhancements to the outdoor space should come from children's interests and needs as it does in your indoor environment, e.g. a child has been observed exploring a trajectory schema his interest is gravity his need is number recognition so you set up an activity e.g. dropping various objects from the climbing frame and see which numbered hoop/mat they fall onto - he can explore how different materials/objects move/travel etc etc
    i would argue the point with HT that sudden change in planning only highlights/appears that the school knew/thought they were not planning correctly and only implemented changes due the coming ofsted inspection which makes it look like the school is only bothered 5% of the time

9. to me it sounds like you maybe need some continuous provision plans
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Continuous-Provision-plans-6003816/
    this sort - time consuming but mine really made me consider what resources we had and what we needed to add to a wish list
    Each week I produce an overview of the week which shows enhancements for CP both inside and outside e.g. add christmas themed number cards to the washing line outside in the maths area (at christmas!!) and then I have a box on the top of my daily plan that I note in what table top type activity and or enhancements to CP will happen that day. This is where lots of things from childrens interest are built in and gets us round the SMT insisiting we have whole school topics too (a whole other post!!)
    Leave your e-mail and I will send you examles of what I mean. Not LOADS of extra work and has really made me focus my CP activities and justify them (not that I actually think we should always have to justify them)
    HTH