1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outside access.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by marymoocow, Mar 13, 2012.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We have a lovely outside area with direct access from the classroom. We have always run continuous access outside/in. However this year we are struggling as we now have 2 staff in nursery covering 2 inside areas and the outside. Previously we have had at least 3 staff and also shared the area with reception and therefore had their staff to use too. I just feel trying to run outside /in with 2 staff means we are nolonger getting quality. We cant run focus activities easily inside because we keep having to intervene in the room we are not working in or changing wet bums and outside we cant run focus activities properly as it is a large area that needs supervising. Also the type of kids we have have very poor social skills and need a lot of modelling of play. This week we have all been going out together and it has been working much better as one staff can do a focus and one can play with the children. Do you think it would be frowned on to have set outside times for everyone, given we have such good access? I am also aware that we have had good weather this week and had it been very cold, we would have had some children want to go in. We are over due ofsted and some reports seem to critisise schools without continuous access. What do you do?

2. marymoocow

We have a lovely outside area with direct access from the classroom. We have always run continuous access outside/in. However this year we are struggling as we now have 2 staff in nursery covering 2 inside areas and the outside. Previously we have had at least 3 staff and also shared the area with reception and therefore had their staff to use too. I just feel trying to run outside /in with 2 staff means we are nolonger getting quality. We cant run focus activities easily inside because we keep having to intervene in the room we are not working in or changing wet bums and outside we cant run focus activities properly as it is a large area that needs supervising. Also the type of kids we have have very poor social skills and need a lot of modelling of play. This week we have all been going out together and it has been working much better as one staff can do a focus and one can play with the children. Do you think it would be frowned on to have set outside times for everyone, given we have such good access? I am also aware that we have had good weather this week and had it been very cold, we would have had some children want to go in. We are over due ofsted and some reports seem to critisise schools without continuous access. What do you do?

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think they might criticize you, it was the only negative comment against us last year, but you are not running the class for the benefit of Ofsted you have to do what works for you. Give them your reasons for working like this and if they don't like it .... stuff 'em!

4. marymoocow

That's what I feared. It is frustrating because I really believe in continuous access and previously it worked really well. Ho hum.

5. I am in exactly the same situation are you me? In Nursery me and a nursery nurse running around like headless chickens and waiting for the phone call. I don't know the answer either.But I am sure whatever we do will be wrong!

6. hi we are also waiting for the phone call and are in the same position as you. Last year we ran as a foundation stage unit and with 5 members of staff and could run free flow provision easily. however this year we are back to being a nursery and reception. We find that it is most effective to go outside as a whole group (we are outside most of the time) otherwise we are just overseeing the 2 area rather than really being able to interact and have focus activities. Not sure what OFSTED will think put will try to put forward a good arguement for it.