1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outrageous parent stories............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JennyMus, May 3, 2011.

1. One of my parents rang the office during lesson time demanding to speak to me immediately. Office staff explained that they would pass a message on and I would ring at my first available opportunity. Parent wasn't happy with this and demanded to know why I couldn't speak to her right now. Office explained that I was in class teaching....she wanted to know why we didn't have phones in every classroom so that parents could ring us when they wanted to speak to us!

2. FilledWithDesire

FilledWithDesire New commenter

I had an interesting experience with a year 8 girl who is a bit of a little terror although obviously mum things butter wouldn't melt! Anyway I'm teaching the class when I notice said girl I applying make-up. At our school this is a detention instantly so I issue it and think no more of it. Next day I'm called to make a statement because the girl's mum has complained about it. Mum said "she was applying tintied vasaline" and that my actions were "out of order". My statement read " I wasn't aware Vaseline was applied to the eyelashes with a long stick-like brush."

Another incident with a boy I seem to have run ins with more often than I'd care to. One morning I asked him to tuck his shirt in as per uniform policy. So he moans about it and doesn't do it so I repeat. Hearing this another teacher comes over and asks and he still won't do it! So the other teacher takes him to SLT to sort out the shirt. He comes back 5 mins later all flustered shirt tucked in. I stand there and he walks and stands next to me near his friends and starts verbally abusing myself and other members of staff. I said to him "you know I'm stood here right?" and he said "whatever miss you're all f***ing stupid anyway you don't know what you're doing." What a pleasent boy I hear you cry. Best of all dad comes in RE verbal abuse and says "he hasn't even f***ing sworn." Mystery solved. Case closed.

henrypm0 likes this.
  3. Just wanted to mention something after reading most of this topic with amusement as to what is to come in my teaching career...

Primary school wasn't really that long ago for me and we didn't have a mid-morning snack or anything like that. I lived in a village quite a long way from the school so it was a good 40 minute drive providing you didn't get stuck behind a tractor so we left quite early so it was an extra-long time between lunch and breakfast for me and it didn't kill me. Actually, I really don't recall being hungry at all.

It was only when I reached Year 6 that we started being allowed to bring water bottles into the classroom, which invariably I always forgot. Before that we just went to the water fountain...!

I read the original comment about witholding the mid-morning snack as a punishment and then all the arguments that arose from it and am now slightly worried I'll use something like that as a punishment and get the sack for some sort of child abuse.

4. <u>d</u>ash <u>i</u>n <u>a</u> <u>r</u>ush, <u>r</u>un <u>h</u>ard, <u>o</u>r <u>e</u>lse <u>a</u>ccident
    diarrhoea - simple!

5. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

This thread has reminded me of a tale from my PGCE days. On my first placement, one of my fellow trainees was failing (lack of subject knowledge to the point of ridiculousness) and was a 'Cause for Concern' (from the school and uni). We were all sitting in the staff room one lunchtime, when an angry man burst in (lax security IMO) and started shouting at our professional mentor and said trainee's subject mentor in front of everyone. It turned out that he was their father and didn't appriciate his 24 YEAR OLD trainee teacher daughter being told that she was going to fail, that she was completely unsupported by everyone (not true, they really tried!). After this outburst, the school demanded that she be placed elsewhere.
    I always wondered what he was like at parents evenings when she was a teenager.
    Mad.

6. <font size="2">I couldn&rsquo;t agree with you more.... [​IMG]</font>

7. I was once locked in a cupboard by my HoD.
    This was because the local drug dealing "hard man" had arrived on site (from which he had an exclusion order) with two rottweilers, a knuckle duster and a baseball bat, as I had had the effrontery to place his spawn into detention for throwing a chair out of the window of my classroom.
    Luckily, the on site PC managed to call for back up and arrest him (the father, not the HoD) after about 45 minutes.
    At the other extreme, I was told that I would be sacked (from a private school), as I had failed to get a solicitor's son the grade he needed to do Elecrical Engineering at Imperial College. Sadly, dad had never asked son what he wanted to do, which wasn't Engineering of any sort - son wanted to do History. I wasn't sacked, but the father was asked to leave the premises, as his anguage towards me was considered to be "inappropriate given the presence of young people and ladies" in the words of the Deputy Head.

cyolba, wishing he attended parents' evenings :)

8. Student signs out and has had to rush home mid morning as his dad has had a heart attack, a fellow student realises at lunch that he's left his mobile in the classroom. I go to the office and call home to let them know it's here in case anyone needs to get hold of him under the emergency circumstances and express my hopes that his dad is pulling through and best wishes to the family from me and the team. Bloke on the end of the phone says "Well as his father, I can confirm that i'm fine, X on the other hand won't be by the time i've finished with him. He's here let me go and get him".....what ensues in the background while i'm holding on the other end is what I can only describe as the longest and loudest passage of expletives I have ever heard aimed at anyone in my life.......I hung up after 3 mins, thought best go call back at a more appropriate time.

9. Dang right! Farming life is like that and if you are a teacher in a rural farming you would understand that! It's what sowed me too and Im very proud of that fact!

10. cyolba that first one sounds quite scary.....Parents evening at an independent college a long time ago, i'm talking to the father of a girl, he's about 48 and has been quite lechy, including winking at me, eyeballing me up and down when introduced and generally behaving like he thought he was god's gift. I finish the meeting unmolestered and then he starts asking me about another student. I respond that I would be unable to discuss another students progress with him as that would be a breach of confidentiality. "I don't see why" he says, "she's my girlfriend". One of those moments when you realise there are no words in your head that you can find to use..........

11. A few years ago when it began to be the done thing to send your child in to school with a water bottle, I had a conversation with a parent who constantly sent in squash and fizzy drinks. The parent told me that they could only drink these things because their child was allergic to water!

12. Better than the child who came with a pack of biscuits and a swiss roll

13. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

erm...shouldn't the child be encouraged to take responsibility for their own homework etc?

14. This reminded me of a fun conversation I overheard ... 4 or 5 Y11 girls discussing their sex
    lives began to share their experiences with one particular bloke ... he was the father of another girl in the group

15. Ever considered the child might be on the autistic spectrum? This could be why the parent has explained that he needs specific instructions - (don't just ask him can he...tell him to take the poster down.) Also maybe the child had associated sensory issues, which is why the poster was wrapped round his face in the first place. As teachers we should understand our pupils to the best of our ability. Yes, it's hard being a teacher, but it's harder to be a parent. Remember, that (for the most par)t we are all on the same side!

16. You use the words 'need' and 'fact'. What happens to them if they don't? What study have you read on this topic?
    What happens during the night? Do they have to wake up every 3 hours for a snack? And you would also be suggesting at least 2 meals after school for those children. Of all the families I know of, this is not the case.

17. That is the winner! Pure Dead Brilliant!

18. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Ooooooh! 7 years of lurking, Pat. You are a winner ...

19. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

This one is easier for Y9s to remember:
    <u>d</u>ash <u>i</u>n <u>a</u> <u>r</u>eal <u>r</u>ush, <u>h</u>urry <u>o</u>r <u>e</u>xploding <u>a</u>rse!

As for the parent stories, they are not the most relaxing things to read before going to bed. My blood pressure is soaring - mainly because I can relate to so many of them!

20. Ohhhh, this thread is really making me look forward to stating my training in September. Thanks guys.