1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outrageous parent stories............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JennyMus, May 3, 2011.

1. I was asked to have a look at a girls ear and remove the earring that was stuck inside the festering mess that her cheap earring had caused to her recently pierced ear.

2. My favourite ever "late" excuse.
    "Lauren, why are you late?"
    "My mum had to wet my fringe."

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. Nope you were forced to drink warm milk even though it made you feel sick.

Allthough I generally think Thatcher is the spawn of satan I am greatful that once I went into 'juniors' I didn't have to drink the muck

4. No, I wasn't

5. On the other hand a previous head called me in because a parent complained that "She had to pin me against the wall before I would agree to speak to her". He felt I should have been more accomodating. He seemed surprised when I pointed out that, had the incident really occured I would have been to him asking for protection and refusing to see the said parent on my own. For him parents were ALWAYS in the right!

6. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Not our problem.

7. But it is not a problem at all since the school have provided an expectation of mid-morning snack

The problem then occurs when that snack is removed

8. I do not like to eat when I first get up

So I take something in to work and usually eat at about 8ish

There is no problem with me not eating before I leave BUT I get a bit cranky if my 8ish snack time is occupied by something else

The suggestion her is that I should eat before I leave the house but why

If I knew there was never an opportunity to eat at work I would adjust BUT there is so why should I

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Children being hungry for one morning isn't going to hurt them.
    The discomfort might make them think about their behaviour next time they are warned about the noise level.
    I don't think a one-off withdrawal of snacking priveleges is a major issue.

10. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

That's the parents' problem. When I was a child (and incidentally, right up until I was at uni) I didn't like eating breakfast as I didn't feel hungry in the mornings. My mum would try and force something down me and some mornings I would eat, but always with the understanding that if I didn't have breakfast, the next time I'd eat would be lunch time.
    My mother didn't ever insist that I was allowed to eat during the morning. In fact, at break time I was too busy playing with my friends to notice.

11. Eva_Smith

Given the nature of our jobs, you really should expect to have something distracting/occupiying you at 8am! Any number of things could need attending to at that time in the morning. Although you USUALLY get chance to eat, you can't say that you always will. The children whose parents choose not to feed them in the mornings (why? because getting the kids out of bed earlier is probably just a bit too difficult for them to be bothering with and never mind cos the teachers will sort it all out by letting them eat mid-morning AND clearing up after them) are at fault here.

12. But the understanding here is that the next time they will eat is mid-morning

I do not see this as necessary in any way BUT the school has established this understanding ...
    if they suddenly take that away with no warning it is a bit rich to say well, on that day you should
    have fed them because we were not going to let them follow their usual routine

13. We will have to agree to disagree as I think the school are at fault by setting a mid morning break precedence

hhhh likes this.
  14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mother couldnt' make Parents Eening because it clashed with her pilates lesson...

hhhh likes this.
  15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We have free fruit for a mid-morning snack, most but not all children will eat it. I agree with ResourceFinder though, it is up to the school whether they have mid-morning snack or not but <u>withdrawal</u> of food should never be used as punishment.

16. Eva_Smith

Which the school does as a good will gesture. It is NOT an entitlement. In the poster's example, the child had hardly been provided with a healthy snack by the parent. I'd argue that the teacher was doing the kid a favour by ensuring that their first food of the day wasn't a bag of fatty crisps with the nutrional value of lard.
    The child was not harmed, they were, at the most, made to feel a little uncomfortable for an hour or so.
    In my opinion, the parent in question kicked up the fuss because it was easier to blame the teacher and focus on the withdrawal of the snack that it was to deal with their child's poor behaviour which led to the punishment.

17. I wouldn't like to have to contest whether mid-morning snack is an entitlement - I certainly don't see it as a good will gesture.
    Surely there are many more things at a teacher's disposal to withdraw, than food.
    If an employer withdrew an entitlement to a break (which legally they may not be able to do), they would be in trouble.

18. This debate will become irrelevant soon as funding for fruit in KS1 is being withdrawn.

19. Why will it become irrelevant? We don't nad haven't had free fruit here, but the children still have healthy mid-morning break, supplied by parents.

20. If someone wants to give me a shout when we're back to discussing anything related to the thread title i'd appreciate it........