1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outrageous parent stories............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JennyMus, May 3, 2011.

1. speechcompanyinfo

speechcompanyinfo New commenter

Yeah, I can't work it out either. Unless it rhymes with "you" and is brown?

2. delenn

delenn New commenter

I used to teach a girl Z. I had her in Y7 and 8 and never saw mum. When she was in Y9 I took her once a week for study/reading. The parents evening that year was options and careers as well and mum turned up. Z came to see me without an appointment but as she was a student that I liked and had time said fine it would be nice to see mum. Mum started off by saying how useless Z was and how thick she was (her words not mine). She also said she shouldn't bother about going to college because if she (mum) hadn't been able to finish a course then Z wouldn't because she was thicker than mam was and was completely useless anyway and should be in a school for thick kids. I was gobsmacked.

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

God that's depressing.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

what did you do?

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Meanwhile, 50 years ago:

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Love the 2 letters re this I received.

"Sorry, XXX won't be in school as he's got dire, dier, direrear."
    And
    "Sorry WWW won't be in school, he's got the back door trots!!!

8. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

A male Head of Year had a letter from a parent stating that her daughter should be excused PE because she got "frozen nipples". He passed the letter to my wife in the office, she was the PE teacher. What do you suggest I do he asked?

9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Forty years ago, when I worked in Stockwell Manor school, we had one student who was the PIA's PIA! One parents' evening, he came into the hall in a very subdued manner, contrary to his usual demeanour, walking behind a very small, old-looking man. It was if the latter was leading the former by a halter. The two of them made the rounds of the boy's teachers getting the same, bad reports.

Suddenly, everyone's attention was drawn by a loud noise, which sounded as if someone had burst a paper bag. The tiny old man, with shovel-like hands, was belabouring the boy, who was a foot taller then him.

"Is what I hear true?" (smack). "You cheek your teachers?" (smack). "You shame your mother?" (smack); and so on.

Our reactions were 'ambiguous' but the scene was over before anyone could intervene.

The episode had no effect on the student, as next day he was back to his old ways of being a PIA.

magic surf bus likes this.
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For some reason I mentally transposed that incident to a school in Japan, where the little old man is a retired samuraii :eek: