1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outrageous parent stories............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JennyMus, May 3, 2011.

1. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

I can't match these [and on the whole I am quite glad not to be able to]. Just a sidelight, though: not all irresponsible parents are feckless drunks from council estates. It was the parents of a very nasty piece of work in a private school who said to me "you must be very strict with young Tarquin, because he does what he likes at home". And I lost count of the number of parents in the leafy-suburban high school who asked me to "have a word" with their offspring about their smoking/drinking/drug-taking/sex-lives because "s/he thinks the world of you, so s/he'll take some notice, it'll come better from you". And I quite often got reported to the head for "not fulfilling my tutorial duty of care" when I refused, on the grounds that it wasn't my job, or my problem if they were too cowardly or lazy to confront their children. Fortunately, he agree with me that it was my job to teach the students, not to bring them up.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I'm torn between

D I L D O
    V I B R A T O R
    C O N D O M

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Few years back a child's parents complained that their daughter had an awful time on the French residential trip. And that it was a waste of their money as yhey could have had a family holiday in Spain for the same money! HT had them in and myself and the trip leader went to the meeting. We took the consent form they had signed which had additional notes o the back stating that their daughter would only eat chocolate spread sandwiches and it had to be slice white bread not French bread. She would not take part in any activities either as she didn't like them. We were able to state that she had eaten or at least tried all the meals put in front of her and had not asked for or been given the chocolate spread and bread that we had specially bought from the hypermarket for her (in fact we gave them the unopened jar of French pate chocolat to take away. I also printed off all the photos of their daughter at the top of the climbing wall, wizzing down the zip wires and all the other stuff and gave them as a gift of their daughter's trip.

lilachardy, InkyP, calamansi and 6 others like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

At least she was wearing clothes! I assume she didn't need 'work' clothes!

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

In my first ever teaching job, I was perplexed by a little lad who arrived at school at the crack of dawn in the summer, but was always late in the winter.

We discovered that his mother was a 'working girl' and therefore didn't get up in the morning. He knew when it was light, he should go to school but hadn't mastered the time, so didn't realise when he was early or late. When asked what he had for breakfast, he told us he had raisins and tomato sauce.

He was five.

6. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Gobsmacked.

emerald52 likes this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

:( just reading about him makes me want to go back in time and adopt him. What is he doing now? Do you know?

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've had a few, but this is my worst.

I had the " settee and telly" mum. Would what we were teaching today help her daughters acquire a settee and telly? If not, they were not required to participate. Cos her daughters wanted a settee and telly each, to watch the Jeremy Kyle show. So as long as they got that, they weren't going to need anything else in life.

Ever.

I still see the girls on the bus sometimes, adult now. They wave and say " got my settee and telly miss". Neither got any GCSEs, or a job.

But you will be glad to know they both reached the top of their chosen profession - they have both in fact now been ON the Jeremy Kyle show.....

9. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Oh yes
    I had parents who were on the Kyle show. Just looking back and wishing I had handled that little one with a lot more gentleness - ISP school, targets, data, tracking...........
    Also, the comfortably off family who announced they intended to take their child out of Pull ups when they went on holiday in the summer, because their gite had a tiled floor. (Child rising four).
    ?
    Who would toilet train their child in a rented holiday property?
    ?

10. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Oh and the mum who came to the Nativity concert with no knickers on and started .....
    as least we knew she wasn't pregnant again.
    Yet.

11. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

The following is completely true.
    Some years back I had a boy in my class, whose "mum" worked in a brothel in the same town. The police used my then TA's spare room to monitor the house that they were working in.
    I knew nothing about this at the time.

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I wanted to take him home. He was a lovely little chap and must have enjoyed school to get himself there at the age of five completely on his own. I wanted to get him decent clothes and give him a bath and just look after him. It was the breakfast of tomato sauce and raisins that really got to me. It was so long ago, yet I remember it so vividly. I have absolutely no idea what happened to him. I only stayed at the school for a year.

I can't help but think though, that he would have had to work very hard to overcome the disadvantages of his childhood.

InkyP, palmtree100 and kibosh like this.
  13. LindyHop

LindyHop New commenter

Mums is plural, no apostrophe needed.

14. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

If you want to play grammar police on a post from long ago at this time, you're either an insomniac or just mad.

dunnocks likes this.
  15. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Well, there was the mother who couldnn't come to Parents' evening because it clashed with her pilates...

The father was worse. Let's not forget the fathers.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Heart breaking. Poor little lad, at least he was trying.

17. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

At a PE, a father told a colleague that his child's truancy was, "Not down to me, 'cos I was doing a 'oner', down the Scrubbs, last year."

18. jmford7

jmford7 New commenter

A story about a parent who walked in and punched a HT in the main office. I don't need to say what this story was about but the usual "my child is innocent".

Another one is about a parent not happy over her bullied son so responded by bullying the Head Teacher.

19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

The father who's response to being shown cctv of his daughter breaking into the PE changing rooms and rifling through everyone's pockets was to smack his fist to his forhead in dispair and turn to her and shout " YOU STUPID IDIOT WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU BOUT CCTV!!!!!"

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The father who continued to deny that his son absconded through the window in the Year 9 SATs test, despite written evidence from several invigilators and the entire year group.