1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outlining

Discussion in 'English' started by Ummjibreel1, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Ummjibreel1

Ummjibreel1 New commenter

Hi, I’m a home educator. My children are currently in KS2. Does the national curriculum include teaching on outlining in writing?

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

By 'outlining' do you mean 'planning'? If so, then yes. I'm not a Primary teacher, but my daughter certainly gets taught to plan. Story mountains seem to get used a lot. Not sure what they use for non-fiction writing.

3. Ummjibreel1

Hi, thank you for replying.

I’m familiar with story mountains for when writing their own stories but I was referring to outlining where you look a piece of work such as an article, short story book or even a passage from a book and then the child would create out outline of the piece, kind of like a summary of the piece.

Or is this something that would be taught in KS3 perhaps?

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Precis?

5. Ummjibreel1

Yes! That’s exactly it, a critical précis.
    When do schools begin to teach this? We’ve been doing it for a while as a sort of ‘pre writing/composition’ exercise.

6. tb9605

As a set style of writing, I only bother teaching sumnarising at KS4, because there's only one question on the iGCSE paper I currently teach that requires summarising skills. In fact, if memory serves, it's not a skill that is required at all on home board GCSEs (well, AQA's anyway). English at GCSE is all about reading for inference, evaluation, and analysing the writer's craft. The questions assessing these get marked for the content and the quality of the argument, not the style or organisation (though granted, these help): the questions where writing style does matter are either creative pieces or transactional pieces (e.g. letters, articles, speeches).

With this in mind, I suspect is it would be rare to find a KS3 curriculum that gave much time to writing a precis as a distinct form. More likely you would find teachers guiding students to write reviews or reports: that would require some summarising skills of course, but with the addition of opinion or evaluation that would be lacking from a precis.

I'm sure teachers do set "write a summary of the book you read".... but only when somebody if off sick and they desperately need a cover lesson! Or when the school insists on them setting summer homework.

Have a look at the National Curriculum if you want to know what is taught when: https://assets.publishing.service.g...condary_national_curriculum_corrected_PDF.pdf

7. Ummjibreel1

That’s very helpful to know regarding the exams.

It’s interesting to see how different systems work. I’m aware that private schools don’t have to follow the national curriculum and as such, they don’t. They tailor their own curriculum with the exam requirements in mind. It’s from here that I’ve noted outlining/précis has been used as a precursor to students attempting their own original writing pieces. I believe it’s part of learning to pick out important details, model the structure of great literature pieces and then imitate in their own writing.

Thank you for taking the time to reply so comprehensively.
    X

8. tb9605

Not just private schools - Academies and Free Schools don't need to either.

Ummjibreel1 likes this.