1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outlawing cars parking on the pavement

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Dec 4, 2015.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

So do I. The area close to my daughter's school has very restricted parking so, inevitably I suppose, parents park on pavements and other restricted areas. The number of times that there have been very close calls for people having to walk around these cars is scary.

Not that I've got any good ideas about how to improve the issue mind.

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

A neighbour always parks 2 wheels on the pavement, 2 wheels on the road. They have an overgrown rose bush right next to the pavement and when we're walking our dogs, we have to walk in the road or risk losing an eye from the rose bush. VERY considerate-not!!

4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Most people half-park on the pavement to oblige other drivers on a narrow, double-parked road, rather than pedestrians.

kibosh likes this.
  5. FrankWolley

If the road is too narrow to park on it 'normally', then they should park elsewhere & walk further.

The dangers for the visually impaired, wheelchair & baby buggy users of cars parked on the pavement is too great as they often have to go into the road.

InkyP likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

Of course if you squeezed through and scratched their car that would be a terrible shame! ;)

7. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

"If the road is too narrow to park on it 'normally', then they should park elsewhere & walk further."

Not quite as simple as that for lots of us who live in terraced housing without drives / garages. Our street has 80 houses and parking for 20, with permits. Usually there is a space or two on surrounding streets although if this goes through, the street behind will lose half its parking too. To park further afield isn't an option as my permit doesn't allow it (and you can only get a permit where you live)

kibosh likes this.
  8. FrankWolley

That's a problem - but to endanger pedestrians isn't a solution.

Lobby the council to provide better parking? Perhaps the parking permits need to be made more expensive to weed out those who don't really need a car? Set up car share schemes?

9. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

No parking on the pavement near schools may be a good safety idea.

Unfortunately if applied where I live it would block the road. Most people can't garage their cars, most houses have two cars, car parking fully on both sides of the road would leave enough space for a bike!

In Japan you need to own a car parking space to buy a car. I'm not advocating that for the UK. It also seems rather regressive to suddenly disrupt so many lives by a sudden wholesale change to on pavement parking. Presumably those thinking this is a good idea don't actually live in such areas and get frustrated when trying to use them as rat runs.

10. FrankWolley

Those People who have garages should use them (and not keep rubbish in them, as some do), where there is no parking then one car per household only should get a permit, and the other car will need to be parked elsewhere - may be a long walk.

But endangering pedestrians isn't a solution.

11. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

A long walk will still only take you to another area where you aren't allowed to park as it is someone else's zone.
    Most people here only have one car - this isn't an affluent area!

kibosh likes this.
  12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

:eek: :eek: :eek:

;)

13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

As others have touched upon, for councils to enforce this they should at least make sure there is an alternative parking availability. There are countless roads in the UK where parking legally would cause obstruction.
    I think the Catch 22 clause we have is you MUST park so as not to obstruct the emergency services....and fire engines are not narrow.
    The problem here is councils did not plan with roads and car ownership in mind so until they find solutions, they should not again be able to use their failings as another chance to fleece residents for cash.

kibosh likes this.
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We live on a village on the high street which is a route between two towns. Pedestrians are few and far between, everyone who can parks half on the pavement, parking fully on the road risks losing a wing mirror which is a very frequent occurrence for people who do. My neighbours car was written off a few weeks ago one Saturday night when he parked fully on the road and it was hit by a drunk driver who wasn't expecting it.

Also, all the stop-start and waiting that occurs behind parked cars when something is coming the other way increases noise and pollution.

I appreciate the position can be very different in towns and cities but hope this is not to be a blanket law. It seems like an case of where a small number of very vociferous pedestrians can have a greatly disproportionate effect.

15. FrankWolley

That would be councils in Victorian & Edwardian times, would it?

I don't care what they do - but cars parked on the pavements (unless they are so wide as to be able to be turned into proper parking bays - happens, but not often) which then block the pavement and endanger pedestrians should be made illegal. And the cars towed away.

16. FrankWolley

Fold the wing mirrors in?

The clue there is 'drunk driver' I think.

BTW what effect would this crash have had on a pedestrian walking round a car blocking their path? Perhaps pushing a wheelchair?

Read the details of the law - it will give power to local councils to decide.

17. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

It's a Private Members' Bill = unlikely to happen.

kibosh and Mangleworzle like this.
  18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Too late for visitors and workmen who don't know and find out the hard way.

Granted, however had the car been half on the pavement she would have missed it.

When I say pedestrians are few and far between I really mean it, 10 a day past our house would be unusual. We are a village and people tend to be considerate, pavement parkers leave enough space for pushchair users.

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As somebody who live in london borough there are several problems.In some roads the councils encourage half on half off parking. In other parts its full parking on streets as long as emergancy vehicles can pass.In some its parking on pavements in designated bays on pavements.
    Sounds good except because of the high car ownership there is never a place to be found.Recently, because they are determined to make a place a mini Holland and are putting in cycle lanes, many parking places have been lost,priority is given to cyclists..who generally dont use the cycle lanes,Roads have been narrowed so if a vehicle stops the whole system grinds to a halt while its sorted.
    Parking on pavements in some streets are the only solution and most folk can get round.If you park illegally then you get a £100 fine.
    Banning will not solve the problem, finding new parking will not be easy as no places are designated as say a parking storage in councils list of priorities..assuming folks would leave them there as they are often vandalised/robbed in such places.
    The roads were built for horse and cart traffic and not cars..and unless you can make folks walk instead of drive places like schools always have a problem at drop off and pick up time.....for us here the Chelsea tractor owners are often the worse culprits as the seek to protect their expensive vehicles or as some one says park on pavement to allow other motorists to park.
    Can you restrict folk to one car..possible.unless like around here you have flats when 8 or 9 flats might each have a car and no parking space is built into the flat.Recently they built/building new flats at the bottom of the street and folks there are not to be given a parking permit for the parking zone. Result they have all moved their cars to the non permit zone meaning that folks in those areas are under pressure and so park cars where they can and so on.
    Out right bans will not wok unless the council/builders are forced to make provision for parking.To simply yellow line it if wont take the problem away

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  20. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

On one of my regular dog walking routes, there's a large white van that parks entirely on the pavement, necessitating any pedestrians (also elderly/disabled folk on sticks, parents with buggies/children, etc) to step off into the road and go round it - and do so somewhat 'blind', as it's impossible to see what is coming without stepping off into the road first.