1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outgoing Spec - Coursework...

Discussion in 'English' started by Eva_Smith, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Thank God and sweet Jesus his son that coursework is going away, that's all I can say! Let me seek some advice...

In my current year 11 group there are two pupils who, I discovered about 6 weeks ago, had plagiarised parts of their coursework, namely their media assignment, which was a film review. I'd picked up on all other plagiarsim and must have lectured the class dozens of times about it, warning them of the consequences etc.
    The two pupils were given back their work and told to reproduce it, this time from their own brains, rather than Wikipedia and Rotten Tomatoes.com (they'd actually both plagiarised the same passage at one point!
    Anyway, one of the girls didn't hand this work in by my internal deadline of February half-term. I'd pestered and pestered her for it, even texting my TA one day when I was off sick to ask her to pester on my behalf. I ended up sending the pupil an email during the half-term saying that if she would email me the work I'd do her to huge favour of making sure it got into the pile first thing Monday morning, despite the fact that all folders were being assembled ready of internal moderating and weren't supposed to be being touched or edited any further.
    The pupil didn't email me her work, nor did she respond to further pestering when we returned after the holidays. Instead, she complained to SLT that I was harrassing her and sending her inappropriate emails. SLT, in their infinite wisdom, took this very seriously and I was comprehensiovely and viciously b*ll*cked. Moreover, they continued to 'investigate' by interviewing all of the girl's friends who lied and made allegations of further inappropriate and harrassing contact (nagging, in other words, to prevent them from failing!).
    Anyway, the girl still had an incomplete folder. However, one of my colleagues suggested using a piece of work that the girl had produced for her Media Studies coursework, which just about managed to meet the criteria for English too. I've put it in her folder, but feel very uncomfortable about it for two reasons:
    1) It's not exactly honest is it?
    2) This girl has basically made my life a misery for the past 3 weeks....I'd really quite like to see her get the failing grade she deserves.
    What are your thoughts?

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

My thoughts are that there's far too much of this. We (teachers) worry too much about coursework - after all, it's not ours! But incomplete folders are seen as our failure so we end up doing things like this. I've worked in, and had dealings with, several departments and they're all the same. Is it within the rules to submit the same piece of coursework? If it is, I'd put it in her folder but if the rules prohibit it, I wouldn't. That said, I suspect somehow the student would still end up with a complete folder - like you, despite the logistical nightmares caused by CAs, I won't be sorry to see coursework go.

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

That's just it, I don't know, but I suspect it isn't allowed. The DH who was "investigating" the claims of harrassment asked me if it was true that I'd submitted this piece of work (which, by the way, I had to seek out and photocopy because the kid couldn't be fecked to do it herself). The DH said that since this option was available, there was really no need for me to have pursued the point with the child for so long...why didn't I just do this weeks ago??? (Honestly!)
    If only I'd known this years ago....don't bother making a child do the necessary work. Just let another teacher in another subject have the grief, then go and photocopy it and hey presto!

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

This would suggest that it's allowed: https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/92723/3367140.aspx