1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outfit for the races..help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1369, Mar 26, 2011.

1. I will be attending the races next month and obviously the races tend to be big affairs with women competing for the best outfit. I have been once before a rather long time ago and I am not particulrly interested in looking 'the best'
    I have bought this dress:
    http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=1825721&breadcrumb=Home~Women~Dresses
    Do you think it is suitable? What colour shoes/accessories/facinator would you think best? I think I will have a problem finding shoes as I can't wear peep toes or strappy shoes and with it being a summer dress I think I will struggle to find a pair of heels that aren't too bulky and meet all my requirements lol.
    Opinions gratefully recieved. Thanks.

2. ,,,oh , and a whip. :¬))

3. I'd go for wedges, too. That is what I wear with my maxi dresses, although I prefer peep-toe.
    You could go for something like this:
    http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_60543+082720234_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Shoes~Women~High+heel+shoes
    although these might look good, as they have a bit of a platform sole (if the colour goes, hard to tell from a piccie)
    http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_58958+1998490209_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Shoes~Women~High+heel+shoes
    I like these, but they are peep-toe
    http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_58958+1846290609_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Shoes~Women~High+heel+shoes
    These are from Julien MacDonald, like your dress and I think the colour would be perfect (but again peep-toe)
    http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_050010463905_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Shoes~Women~High+heel+shoes

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

Are you going to a "Social Event" at the races?
    If not, warm jacket, sensible trousers and flatties might be better - that is certainly what I (and teh other women) wear when we go racing!

5. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

On the assumption that as it is next month you will be going the National, I suggest you take flat shoes or flip flops along in your bag. I am going the saturday for the Grand National (stupid school holidays not letting me go to ladies day as I usually do [​IMG]).
    If you are in one of the cheaper stands your feet will feel awful by the end of the day, no matter how good you usually are in heels. If you have a reserved seat you may be okay but you also may do a fair bit of standing waiting in queues.
    I am wearing a full skirted halterneck fifties dress with a massive petticoat underneath and black heels. I will be robbing some flat shoes from my sister that she got from a company called RED FOOT REVOLUTION. They are ballet pumps that fold in half with a split sole and fit in a little pouch so you can get them in your handbag.

I also suggest taking a cardi or shawl as the weather in Liverpool in April is unpredictable to say the least.
    Hope you have a lovely day and the dress you have chosen is lovely.

6. Wise words from Helena about taking flats as a precaution!

Wedges look great with maxi dresses but I avoid them as I have scrawny, spindly legs and they make me look like a child trying to walk on those makeshift stilts that comprise upturned pots and string!

7. Thanks for all the replies! I do like some of those shoes but I can't afford anything that pricey lol! I think I am going to have to go for a wander equipped with the dress to match the colours as they are very different to the picture!
    Yes I am going the national so don't worry I will be equipped with flats/some sort of cardigan or coat/ umbrella and sunglasses - need to be prepared for all kinds of weather!
    I was looking for a pair of wedges but couldn't find any I liked, I suppose I'm going to have to hit the shops again. I have horrid feet and loads of things wrong with them so I can't/won't have them on display.
    Thanks again - oh and I am glad you like the dress, bloody expensive for what it is though :(

8. I don't know if anyone will see this but I also looooove this dress and I feel much more comfortable in it but I don't know if it is more suited to going the Oscars in!
    http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/ca/en/zara-S2011/61137/197330/DRESS%2BWITH%2BBELT
    Any thoughts?

9. Oh thats lovely, and its my favourite colour! I think the beauty of dresses like that is that you can dress them up and down!
    I bet you will look lovely!

10. Thank you! I think it will look lovely with flat silver flip flops/sandals but I'll have to buy some wedges for the weddings. Can't wear flats to a wedding!
    Is there a Zara near you to try the dress or will you have to order it?

11. I've tried it on in a zara near me, but as I'm a shortie its really long so I don't know whether I could hoik it up a bit with a bigger belt or if I would have to get it shortened.
    Heels always make you feel more glamorous, until your feet start hurting which for me is after about an hour!

12. Helena Handbasket

That dress from zara is absolutely gorgeous but I think it is more a ladies day dress. Lots of people do get dressed up for National day but a lot of people are also just there in jeans or wellies.

13. I think the zara dress is lovely, but personally, I'd be inclined to stick with your first choice.
    Do try and get some wedges if you can find some that will go with the dress - they are much more comfortable to walk around in than stilletto type shoes (although I love wearing them - but if walking on grass, you start to sink!).
    I agree with taking some flatties with you too.

14. Sorry I don't think I mentioned I will be going to ladies day thats why I am panicking so much haha - I don't want to be the scruffiest person there!
    I am going to hit the shops again soon to see what I can find shoe and accessory wise -just a pity I get bored so quickly! I was thinking about the grass and I would prefer to find wedges or really chunky heeled shoes so I don't get stuck!

15. Do you have a max amount that you want to spend on shoes?

16. I haven't got a max amount as such but I want them to be cheapish, I suppose it depends on how much I like the shoes. Maybe £50ish?

17. Helena Handbasket

Oh okay, that green dress would be beautiful for it then. I would go with a gold plaited belt like one shown, a gold grecian style headband and some gold sandals.
    I am so jealous, you don't half get to see some hideous sights at ladies day. I don't get it, I'm from Liverpool and I don't feel the need to wear anything near as disgusting as some of the girls do.

Don't worry about grass, there is minimal grass in Aintree. I think last year we stood on it for about 5 minutes whilst a friend went to put a bet on.