1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outdoor maths lessons ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by celago22, Aug 3, 2018.

1. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I have accepted that I will make mistakes this year!!
    Great advice to yourself! You might avoid giving yourself a breakdown.
    I could not get one of the treasure hunts to load either, probably the one I would have use with your class too.
    and I have mixed feelings about going out first or starting at desks and books, no strong feeling either way. But I would look at how many days you have for "proper" lessons" in the first week. If you have 3, then I would probably do 2 at desks and then one outside, the order being up to you.

2. MonstieBags

MonstieBags Occasional commenter

what a lot of nay sayers on here - oh dear. In place value, a good place to start is tens and units. Get the children to act out a number by jumping some tens and stepping units - i.e. 45 would be four jumps and five steps. One child acts it out and the others have to guess the number.you could add in hundreds making massive jumps.

3. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

This is a great idea, thank you so much! It would work well to then introduce the children to dienes e. g. The ten rods were x jumps. I'm yet to plan this lesson, I've received so many great ideas. It's a tough one!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. mrmattadams

mrmattadams New commenter

Not sure if you're looking for lesson ideas or specifci resources but I use the 10 ticks 'action maths' materials and my pupils love them. There are lots of different activities to choose from and my class have been really engaged with their maths this year.

5. celago22

Thanks for this. I'd use it if the materials were free!

6. markhorsey

markhorsey New commenter

I’ve set up an orienteering activity based on year 2 curriculum. Children had to find the questions on a map and work them out. Eg how many vertices does a cube have. 5 x 5 = how many minutes in an hour. Back in class they had to decipher the code to see what it spelt
    A = 8
    B = 25
    C = 60
    Etc
    Fun activity for kids and excellent assessment acivity see what you need to spend more time teaching in year 3

celago22 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. celago22

Thanks for this. I will use the idea for a back up plan incase the weather is bad as I've already planned the outdoor lesson based on a previous post.