1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outdoor learning area

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mda23, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Hi,
    We have just acquired a new outdoor area attached to the classroom but it is in a diar state right now.
    It's not very big but adequate for our needs - Im going to be going in over the weekend to sort it out but would love to hear some little ideas that have worked for you in a 'small'ish space?
    What resources would you recommend?
    Thanks in advance....

2. Hi m, think natural ie pebbles for counting arranging on a line, number, letter, match to dots on large domino. sticks for counting building laying on large numbers, Pine cones, conkers, cut up cardboard boxes punch holes in two corners add a string label tied through holes for children to make signs/ markmaking etc. Planting bulbs in pots. Skipping ropes, stepping stones, hopscotch, large chalks. This is scratching the surface I'm sure, but something to get u started. Eve,

3. Is it concrete or grass? If its mainly wild leave as much wild as possible, our children love to explore with magnifying glasses for insects, if its natural set aside a place where they can dig for insects or buried treasure, now is a good time to get wheel barrows and spades etc as alot of summer things are on sale, i use natural hanging baskets or wall baskets bought from wilkinsons to store binoculars etc. if you have a concrete area i use chunky chalks bought from poundland, we have a small bike store with shelves inside for free choice it holds bats and balls hoops and stilts etc. We bought catalogue animal shape mirrors for the walls and attached a low washing line with pegs and old ties and scarves between a couple of posts. We painted shapes on the floor and numbers. You can get wicker shelters from resource catalogues but can make your own from reed and cane fencing from garden centres. We have a bin with assorted wellingtons (bought from asda £5 a pair) and raincoats for wet and muddy days. Crates, old drain pipe and saucepans,can be left out all weathers. We have some old tyres to climb on (clean) these can be given a base and filled with sand, gravel, bark and painted get an outside tap if possible for water play old buckets and watering cans, troughs and tubs can be used for sand, water or even growing tomatoes etc, have fun!

4. Hi - I write a blog called" I'm a teacher, get me OUTSIDE here!" - it's got lots of ideas for smallish spaces. If you click on the different tabs underneath the heading, all the posts come up in their categories. I hope this helps http://creativestarlearning.blogspot.co.uk

5. I can definitely recommend this blog! I was up reading it until 4am this morning......am very tired now but have a HUGE amount of ideas I can;t wait to do at school next week!!

Thank you Juliet

6. We need a 'LIKE' button on this TES site - i think the blog looks fantastic - not really enough time to look at it before compulsory sat night rubbish TV viewing with teenage daughter (bonding?!!) but have book-marked it for tomorrow :)

7. Hi all
    Thank you for all the replies - they are v helpful!
    I literally have a blank canvas now so going to be giving it a good go on Monday!
    Ps thanks for your blog link- it's very helpful! some great ideas on there. Keep it up!