1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

outdoor curriculum

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by af2006, Oct 19, 2010.

1. I really want to develop the outdoor curriculum in my school, which is a school for children with complex needs. Although most children are Key Stage 1 and early Key Stage 2 they are mostly working well within the EYFS. If you had to recommend one key book, internet site etc that has helped most with setting up, resourcing and planning an outdoor curriculum what would it be? Thanks

2. Watmore

Watmore New commenter

Hi there
    Have you looked at forest schools stuff? We found it most useful to visit other fs settings with good reputations for their outside areas. My favourite thing that we have outside are a collection of posts with child height holes and a den making kit with guttering ramps, milk crates, tarpaulin and rope to attach a roof, oh and some amazing big clothes pegs. The posts are just cheapy fence posts that are smooth and our chippy made the holes and smoothed them out. The children adore making all manner of dens. We have a telephone that has a hollow wire and two wooden mouthpieces, you can actually hear the other person through it. We have ribbons on garden canes and huge construction bricks. Reggio Emilio is also worth a look.
    It is lots of fun developing your outside learning environment.
    Watmore x

3. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

Helen Bilton's book is very good. Outdoor Play in the Early Years: Management and Innovation.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Learning-Early-Years-Bilton/dp/0415454778/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1
    Early Excellence in Huddersfield have some lovely outdoor resources.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. This is great Msz - thanks

6. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing such a fab resource.