1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outdoor area

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Kartoshka, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I am looking for some inspiration on how to develop our outdoor area/playground (shared with KS1). It is a large area of tarmac surrounded by a fence (no walls to attach things to, as in the many lovely pictures on Pinterest). In terms of resources we have a small sandpit, a small climbing frame, some scooters and a couple of footballs. There really isn't much to inspire creativity but it seems like there is so much space that I don't know where to start to improve it. What resources can we add that will be suitable for the winter weather?

2. lovecats10

lovecats10 New commenter

We have had lots of interest in the tyres we sourced from local garages - children love moving them around and they are great for gross motor skills. Children have also recently enjoyed throwing balls in them and we have enjoyed linking our number work to them by numbering the tyres. We have also furthered this with hula hoops numbered with chalk and beanbags. What about a mud kitchen? Our children have loved ours although not great for Winter admittedly! Something else children are enjoying is a potion station set up in a tuff spot with cauldrons we bought at halloween/ wooden spoons and a selection of herbs/ bark/ coloured water/ glitter. Might this interest your children?

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Have a look at Nrich website for Eearly years challenges. You can print them A4 size and laminate them.

4. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

I too was going to suggest a mud kitchen. We have a music area using pans and other things attached to the fence (a bit like this - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/493073859173470919/) with clear outdoor storage holding other instruments such as traingles etc beside it.

Although not in my current place of work, I've also seen a water station connected to a fence using tubes and milk bottles that the children enjoyed all year round (just like this - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/560487116097565732/). Would these be of any interest? They only take up the space on the fence and can be assembled quite quickly.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Some good ideas here, thank you! I think I might hold off on the mud kitchen until spring, but will give the other things a try, if I can source things like tyres and tubes. Any other suggestions?

6. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

Randolph Beresford early years centre in shepherds bush has th best outdoor learning I have ever seen - they actually have a full time outdoor learning teacher so that if the children choose to stay outside all day every day, they are still being exposed to the full EYFS. It's amazing!

Some things they had:
    Tubing, rope, wooden and plastic crates, tarpaulin , kitchen utensils. - everything and anything basically! They collected all this resources from freecyle or from tips

Area ideas:
    Outdoor music using kitchen pots and pans etc
    Tent making
    Builders yard
    Mathis - logs, pebbles, etc for counting and ordering
    small world creations inside types
    Worm hotel/mini beast area
    Gardening area with plants, spades, rakes etc