1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outdoor area

Discussion in 'Primary' started by haylee, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hi
    Next year I have been given the task to create an outdoor learning environment for my Year 1 children. I have been told it must be a learning environment and not just all play. I have thought about obvious things like chalk boards and numberlines but am struggling (maybe because its the end of term) to be creative. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them and if anyone is willing to share photos then please do haylee_23@hotmail.com
    Many thanks
    Hayley

2. Hi
    Next year I have been given the task to create an outdoor learning environment for my Year 1 children. I have been told it must be a learning environment and not just all play. I have thought about obvious things like chalk boards and numberlines but am struggling (maybe because its the end of term) to be creative. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them and if anyone is willing to share photos then please do haylee_23@hotmail.com
    Many thanks
    Hayley

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

The exact same thing for me too and I have also been trawling for photos. I have thought about :
    planting boxes, giant bead strings, sand tray (can put in numbers etc) tuff spot for small world etc, high frequency words, some balancing boards, outdoor role play. We bought an outdoor maths box with inflatable numbers, giant dice etc.

4. Glad I am not the only one!
    Giant things seem to be the way forward and like the idea of having small world outside I hadn't thought about putting that out there.
    I have found a website http://creativestarlearning.blogspot.com the blog is called Im a teacher get me outside and that has some nice ideas and pictures but any more ideas are very welcome!

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

We recently applied for and recieved a lottery grant to develop a key stage 1 outdoor area, so have been lucky enough to have lots of money to spend.
    We got lots of raised flower beds and a green house. We also got a large story tellers chair and a set of big chime bars. We bought a wooden house from B and Q and got wooden furniture.
    We got a set of 3 builders trays on wooden stands, gutters and bamboo piping. We also had an outdoor tap put in.
    We got a crate set for building and a set large wooden blocks. We got lots of pegs and different materials for den making. Water proof beanbags too!
    We have 2 large tractor tyres and several small car tyres. Chalk board and white board (wall mounted) and pens and paper always available.
    Thats the basics, we enhance these weekly depending on what we are doing.
    If you want me to send you some photos let me know, I'll take some tomorrow - if its not raining!!

6. Comenius, I would love to see some photos -though I suspect they will make me feel very jealous! It sounds fantastic.

7. Oops forgot to add email address.

justmrspinkshoes@gmail.com

Thanks!

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

Mrspinkshoes! I've just e-mailed you!

9. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

10. Den building if you have forested/bushes area? Blind trail again if you have bushes area? digging box - large raised bed with things hidden in eg dinosaurs. large wigwam/tipi made from wooden frame and cleaned hubcaps? Willow classroom? Stage area for performing on? Labryinth/maze made from large pebbles/stones?
    Not sure if this is what you mean. Bought stuff is great, but really expensive.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

This is our storyteller's chair[​IMG]

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

13. Hi. I just wondered if you had ever heard of flickr? I run a group where people can share photos called 'Primary school displays' - it has all sorts on there. Classrooms, display boards, outdoor areas etc. I find it really useful to share examples of good ideas/resources etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51089309@N04/4695803350/in/photostream