1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Outdated teaching technology

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 9, 2019.

1. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I liked the ohts that came with the mfl courses. You could cover up bits to reveal later and could design your own with flaps to add extras. Imagine an empty bed, add another sheet or flap to place person on bed. Magic

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

We had these at my primary school! We had no idea how to use them to do calculations but they were great fun to play with.

3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Log books. Do they still exist in maths?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

It ain't paper trimmers per se that are the problem it is your one..... But a dent one.

90% of staplers are not fit for purpose either.

The problem with both is that they have a half life inversely proportional to their quality (rubbish one don't get nicked quickly and vice versa.)

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I must confess that some infantile children, no names no pack drill, used to draw rude things on the OHP that had a roll of transparency and then roll it back out of site to be revealed later.

As I said infantile but with imagination very funny.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Good idea.

7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

(Ahem...)

8. Mrsmumbles

Ooh! Have another one! Roller maps of the world! Wow we loved them., big ink pads and rollers...we used to over ink them and roller Europe and The America’s down each other’s legs in the summer...we would leave the lesson looking like tattooing casualties...happy days.

ridleyrumpus, blazer and agathamorse like this.
  9. simbridge

simbridge New commenter

Log tables - All done on calculators now.
    You could buy 4 figure or 6 figure log tables.

Also, remember slide rules - the really fancy ones were quite expensive but you could do very advanced Maths on them

Mrsmumbles and agathamorse like this.
  10. gainly

gainly Established commenter

It is still possible to buy them e.g. on Amazon. I don't think they would have any practical use, unless you wanted to show the kids of today what we had to do.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

I never really understood them, but my brother had one...they carried the mystique of a Star Trek tricorder....

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Wooden rulers! And those brilliant slide top wooden pencil boxes! Loved mine. Bring em back!

hammie, Norsemaid and agathamorse like this.
  13. gainly

gainly Established commenter

You can certainly still buy wooden rulers. Maybe with all the bad publicity about plastic they'll make a comeback.

hammie likes this.
  14. adam_nichol

adam_nichol Occasional commenter

Or wood-looking ones made from recycled plastic. A lot of pencils are made this way.

This thread is like the anti-me. After a decade in teaching, I moved to the Digital Services arena. The core mantra I work by now is "Start with user needs" ie: what are people doing that is difficult and could be made easier? The very antithesis to the "Ooh, shiny, lets have that and figure out what to do with it later" view that dogged my teaching career.
    I remember one CPD session with our head of IT support (great guy, knew lots about IT things, nothing about teaching) trying to find a bridge to teaching staff (great folks, knew lots about teaching, nothing about IT) over i-boards. Lots of
    Teachers: "What can it do?"
    IT: "What do you want to do with it?"
    Teachers: "Don't know, what can it do?"
    Perfect ingredients for a workshop with someone who could bridge the 2 worlds. But that didn't happen. Then SLT said we should have a load of ipads. Me: "What do you want them to do on the ipads?". SLT: "Er, stuff". So, we were left with the chance to add another 20 hours a week in resource redesign, or simply get the students to google stuff every once in a while.

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Another problem with OHPs was that even the same models could have different bulbs fitted to them, either when they made, or someone had bodged the fitting to take a different bulb.

I remember the ink rollers that the geography department used, which had maps on them. he teacher wold go around the class with the roller and a large ink pad, putting a map of somewhere into the students' books.

@Mrsmumbles: I remember the crash of a dropped slide carousel and the clacking of slides falling out, accompanied by cries of despair, or tirades of profanity, depending on the teacher or technician involved.

16. Jolly_Roger15

@Shedman: Before the cassette video players, there were the Sony, reel-to-reel machines, which showed grainy, black-and-white images. We were shown how to use them on the AVA course at TTC but I do not remember seeing one in use in a school. The reels of tape were rather heavy and bulky and, i think only lasted twenty or thirty minutes.

What about the AV language courses, like 'Le français aujourd’hui', which had a text book, a reel-to reel tape recorder, and a film strip projector and screen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  17. Jolly_Roger15

Who remembers the Gestetner machines? These used stencils you typed out with a backing sheet on the typewriter roller, and used black, oily ink that came in big toothpaste tubes. No matter how careful you were, you always seemed to end up with spots of this awful ink on your clothing, which no amount of washing or dry-cleaning would get out. Even scrubbing your hands raspberry-red, the stains would take days to wear off. Banda machines were better, as you could partially anaesthetise yourself with he solvent fumes as you ran them off.

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  18. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I took one home when they scrapped it, together with stacks of stencils. Very useful as a young scout leader with a mum who was a typist and chairman of the group, always happy to type up letters for me.

agathamorse, blazer and Shedman like this.
  19. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

regarding buying ipads. How many schools have bought class sets of tech and then found they are pretty useless. Most Maths departments have a box of unused graphical calculators, not much use unless you had a technician to maintain them and a huge budget to change the batteries when they were left on.

20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

About 10 years ago or perhaps longer, data logging was the big thing in science so the science department had a class set pf laptops bought for them so they could do all this fancy logging like pH, temperature, respiration and so on.

Needless to say, they were used about once and after the staff had run around like headless chickens getting the laptops set up and stopping the kids from messing around in the BIOS and the like. In the end it was decided that instead of the students using the computers it would be better if the teacher just demonstrated the experiments and the students wrote down the results and took it from there.

In DT we were desperate to get access to computers to help with designing and so on but did we get a look in? No chance!

agathamorse likes this.