1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Outdated teaching technology

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 9, 2019.

1. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Epidiascope. Put a piece of work under it, project onto screen and discuss ways to improve it. Classic bit of kit.

Mrsmumbles and agathamorse like this.
  2. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Had a colleague during my probationary year who regularly printed off a load of banda copies about 10 mins before the end of lunchtime.

He did it to cover the smell of his regular 2 pints lunch break. It was easy to get the fluid on your hands and the fumes lasted for ages.

The most surprising part of this story is the fact he had time for a civilised lunch!

I can just about remember that.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Hang on, me and Virginia take offense at that.

I think you are implying I am a decade older than I am 77 wasn't it?

hammie, TCSC47 and agathamorse like this.
  4. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Still very useful, but now going under the name 'visualiser' as if they're new.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

My Nan’s neighbour has one of those...they rocked!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

Oh blimey, yeah. ‘Watch’ was awesome.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Film loop projectors take me back to Nuffield Science, in the Sixties. They slotted into a large contraption looking like a cross between a TV set and a coal scuttle on its side. The pictures it projected on the screen were very dim, and kept jumping. The loop about the vibration of water molecules was hilarious. I cannot even find a picture of one.

@Shedman: When I started teaching, in the late Seventies, if you ordered a video, you had to state which TV trolley you wanted, as there were three: one with a Betamax video, one with a VHS, and the Philips one.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I remember Jigsaw from my infant days as well (which probably dates me)

agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Ditto JR's comment on having to specify which TV trolley to use.

Re the Nuffield film projectors. This is a long term project I have to do. When we scrapped our film projectors with the advent of video tapes and threw out all our, by then, non working projectors and film cassettes, I could not make myself take them down the tip. Instead they are sitting in our lock up waiting for me to get them working and video them for Utube. Just need a round tuit, (as usual). Thanks for reminding me. I really can not let them disappear.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I met my wife at her teacher training college, 10 years before I became a teacher and I was intrigued at how excited a group of her friends became when they chipped together to buy themselves a banda machine. I really couldn't understand it until I entered teaching myself and felt the frustration and stress caused by the lack of control teachers have over their personal working environment. The ability to produce classroom resources at will is priceless. Yet another thing people outside teaching don't always seem to understand.

Though nowadays, laptops and printers have gone a long way to helping --- umm-m --- enslaving --- teachers into working all evening producing class work.

agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  11. firstpoet

firstpoet New commenter

Best ‘tech’ I used was my OHP with a roller transparency. I could whizz back to previous lesson notes when kids complained they hadn’t been asked to complete a task. One whizz of the roller and there it was. Never failed either. As a kid sniffing Banda fluid off sheets was a thrill. Bandas still around when I started teaching ( I think I became a teacher so I could operate a Banda machine)!!

12. Mrsmumbles

You know what...we need to open an online Museum Of Outdated Yet Cool Educational Technology!

TCSC47 likes this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Photograph them! Save them for our museum!

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

Carousel slide projectors! They were- and still are- super super cool. That reassuring kerplonky noise it made as another lovingly hand made side popped into the projector. The film quality was great. Ideal for Art History lessons. I was still making them in my pace in 1996. Then nasty overhead digital ceiling projected scythed te humble carousel out of existence, save for a few art classrooms. Then hit tv drama series ‘Mad Men’ came along and this superb scene below, itself a great aftwoek, made sure that the magical stylish status of the carousel projector was rightly reasserted! Love them. Big whirling wheels of pictures and colour...

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Going low tech, how about the guillotines :eek:. Mind blowingly risky!!

We all wanted our own paper trimmers and in fact I do have one at home - just a small one and I love it.

TCSC47 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  16. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

The problem with OHPs was when the bulb went... you went to get the spare, stored inside the machine, only to find that it wasn’t there.

Obviously, the idea of reporting that you had used the spare to the AV team was beyond some colleagues. But I expect we were all guilty at some time.

The thing was, we had a load of backup material, like text books on shelves at the back of the room. And - crucially - no one cared if you had to go completely off plan (if you actually had a plan!). The good, the bad and the not so ugly days.

hammie, agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Ooh yes, the big bladed one in Art was positively medieval! A scythe!

hammie likes this.
  18. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

At least guillotines would cut a class set. One of the "new" paper trimmers we have has a limit of how many sheets it can cut at a time... six! Six sheets of paper at a time is its maximum. Not sheets of metal, paper... normal, 80gsm paper. You can't even get it to cut more by using a little more force; it just bends or tears the paper instead.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

If you had your own reel you could do a whole years notes with a class and the next year you could just use the same reel and you wouldn't have to do any more notes at the front.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Spoilt for choice!